Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 13th July 2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
I did a lot of analysis with the neural's on R+S.

I would suggest not bothering with them as they are not going to be profitable. There are niche cases where they work but they are hard to find.

Instead look at the ratings sheet which as EST, 12M, BL3, etc. These are much better if you combine them with some form analysis.

I use EST, 12M and BL3. I don't worry about LSR.

What you need to do is look at the ratings for the horse at the same distance, same track condition, same field size, (there are a few more but you can come up with what you like). This gives you a baseline of what you think is the base rating for this horse. it may be the same as EST or completely different. It should also give you a range of ratings that the horse is likely to produce. For example even though EST may be 30 you might find at this distance it usually produces a rating of 28-30 and on good tracks it produces a rating 29-34 and in similar field sizes it produces ratings of 26-29. This gives us a range of the horse producing a rating of 26 - 34. You can do this for all horses and now you have a range of ratings for each horse. You can then compare these and look across the last few races to determine if this horse is going to improve and run at the top of those ratings or whether it might struggle and run in the lower area of the ratings. This should give you a good idea of the chances to dutch to make a profit.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for an interesting post on the R&S ratings UB!

I know zilch about the R&S ratings other than they are compiled using Don Scott methods.
I hope they found some new good tweaks because, although profitable in earlier days, they went downhill and DS reportedly died broke.

Scanning the site I could not find any records of how the ratings have panned out in practice.
Just a passing comment where they say the results of their Computer Racecards are "astonishing".

Did your analysis show this?

Am I missing out on being astonished?

My recent efforts with my own ratings could also be called "astonishing", astonishingly feeble!
Old 13th July 2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy
Thanks for an interesting post on the R&S ratings UB!

I know zilch about the R&S ratings other than they are compiled using Don Scott methods.
I hope they found some new good tweaks because, although profitable in earlier days, they went downhill and DS reportedly died broke.

Scanning the site I could not find any records of how the ratings have panned out in practice.
Just a passing comment where they say the results of their Computer Racecards are "astonishing".

Did your analysis show this?

Am I missing out on being astonished?

My recent efforts with my own ratings could also be called "astonishing", astonishingly feeble!

They are based on DS Ratings but its just the initial base rating. Most ratings don't work and most people who follow the ones on R+S will lose money too. You can't just pick up a rating and hope it works. As I said you need to find the ratings this horse produced in similar conditions, similar distances, similar field sizes, etc. That takes work. Most punters won't do that work but anyone who takes the time to do it can use any set of "reasonable" ratings and come up with a derived set of ratings that can then be dutched.

I use lots of sources of data and R+S is one of them. I wouldn't say their ratings are astonishing, but I wouldn't say that about any of the ratings I get. But when I apply my process to the ratings, and then dutch the profitable situations I can easily profit.
Old 14th July 2020, 12:28 AM

Quote:
They are based on DS Ratings but its just the initial base rating. Most ratings don't work and most people who follow the ones on R+S will lose money too. You can't just pick up a rating and hope it works. As I said you need to find the ratings this horse produced in similar conditions, similar distances, similar field sizes, etc. That takes work. Most punters won't do that work but anyone who takes the time to do it can use any set of "reasonable" ratings and come up with a derived set of ratings that can then be dutched.

I use lots of sources of data and R+S is one of them. I wouldn't say their ratings are astonishing, but I wouldn't say that about any of the ratings I get. But when I apply my process to the ratings, and then dutch the profitable situations I can easily profit.

Thanks UB, your feedback is appreciated and I will now take a closer look at their ratings.
A fair while back I looked at their Neurals but did not find them of any use so on that basis I dissed their ratings, looks like I should have dug a bit deeper.
I will have a look at their T&C's and if allowed will try to download the ratings for a look see.
Old 23rd July 2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Instead look at the ratings sheet which as EST, 12M, BL3, etc. These are much better if you combine them with some form analysis.

I use EST, 12M and BL3. I don't worry about LSR.

I agree UB, those are the ratings I look at as well as the FR rating (Don Scott) in the worksheets to see if there is separation in the values. But horse profile is very important and of course the speed map is possibly the biggest piece of the puzzle - it is for me anyway.
Old 24th July 2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix
I agree UB, those are the ratings I look at as well as the FR rating (Don Scott) in the worksheets to see if there is separation in the values. But horse profile is very important and of course the speed map is possibly the biggest piece of the puzzle - it is for me anyway.

Stix,

Do you prefer the R+S speedmap or the punters dot com speedmap ?

I don't have enough data on the punters dot com speed map to make any judgements.
Old 1st August 2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Stix,

Do you prefer the R+S speedmap or the punters dot com speedmap ?

I don't have enough data on the punters dot com speed map to make any judgements.

Hey UB, I use racenet speed maps, the break it into Early Speed, Position and Final Speed. I use these to make my own maps, adjusted for barrier, speed inside/outside etc
Old 16th November 2020, 03:09 PM

Wink

I have come to the conclusion that horses favoured in the neural market do very well in the real market. For example, today I had three selections in Bairnsdale R3 (the winner no.1 was a selection) and I made a profit of $54 on the race using $2 Betfair SP bets. I've looked at yesterday and Saturday and favoured horses in my neural market method would have snared almost all the winners, and there were a few good-priced winners. So far today I've bet on 14 races for 12 winners (normally between 3 and 5 selections per race). I'll give it a few more days and if profitable I'll list the selections here.
Old 17th November 2020, 04:49 AM

Lightbulb

MG it depends how you set the neural selections up. If you use BP course distance $ then horse number one wins.
For you to win consistently this setting needs to be consistent.
In my experience this will not always be the case.
Old 17th November 2020, 05:05 AM

Wink

Kiwi, I agree. However I think the top part of the neural market tends to agree with the real market while the bottom half can be all over the place. This is what I'll be testing with my settings.
Old 17th November 2020, 06:28 PM

Don't trust back tested results ie. after ther race.

They tend to update when the results come in adn the order changes to mysteriously have the winner at the top (or near enough). only test on races that have not yet run.