Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 13th April 2006, 06:17 PM

Default Spyware

A few weeks ago there was a list published on this forum of software that would assist in removing spyware/adware etc.

The following website may also be of assistance as well as it lists both the good sites and importantly the bad sites, those that attempt to sell users a furphy, in some cases installing spyware while claiming to do the opposite.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue...spyware.htm#top
Old 13th April 2006, 09:10 PM

many spyware programs are spyware . which is a bit tricky.

the best i have used is super anti-spy.
Old 13th April 2006, 09:42 PM

Default correction

that should have been super ad blocker not super antispy.
Old 14th April 2006, 01:00 AM

think i'll just steer clear
Old 14th April 2006, 05:03 AM
Suspended.

This is a copy and paste of a file I have kept after originally posting it on this forum. It should be a 'sticky' as PC protection is poorly understood and inadequately applied with all sorts of dodgy and overpriced rubbish [NORTON'S would be the most common and pathetic in this category].

My personal 'top of the hit parade' and what I use for PC protection.

Kasperski is cheap [trial available], trouble free, unobtrusive and does the job NORTON'S pretends to do.

Kaspersky Anti-hacker [firewall]
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal [anti-virus and genuine Trojan killer].
At: www.Kasperky.com

or a good freebie is Zone Alarm [google it].

The below list is what I use on my PC or set up for friends on their PC as there is no perfect program that does it all. A Combo is the way to go that together 'does it all'. They are very well known and considered among the best going and are free. Please use only these [safe] download sites as there are many 'clones' of these well known programs that are not the real thing:

'Spybot' Free at: http://spybot.safer-networking.de/

'SpywareBlaster' is the spybot companion piece. Free at: http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

'Ad-Aware SE Personal' Free at: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Win Patrol: http://www.winpatrol.com/ [Free] This program protects and patrols your start-up programs and stops any unauthorized programs becoming start-up programs or hijacking and taking over existing programs, plug-ins active-X controls etc.]

'HijackThis' Free at: http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

This baby tells you exactly whats happening threat wise you may not know about on your PC. [the threat might actually be from a spyware program itself that you have paid good money for or got for free].

After scanning with 'HighjackThis' you will see a log of all start-up programs and processes, active -X controls and plug-ins etc. on your PC with a 'what's this?' and a 'fix' button. DO NOT press the 'fix' button on something suspicious you have ticked unless you know it is dangerous, you might be removing something vital to your PC. Follow the advice below and copy and paste the log onto one of the many sites that will interpret the log for you.

Spyware Warrior advice about 'Highjack-This': "Where possible, users should become familiar with the use of HijackThis in order to remove stubborn spyware and adware that standard anti-spyware scanners fail to remove. Less experienced users should know how to get help from the expert volunteers who provide free 'HijackThis' log advice and analysis at major anti-spyware forums".

Wack this nice lot above on your PC and you are at max safety and it's then safe to even do internet banking. What was that you say? You already do internet banking without ALL of the above [or similar that is as good] protection ? !!! 8-)

Cheers,
Crash

Last edited by crash : 14th April 2006 at 05:21 AM.
Old 16th April 2006, 11:23 AM

I agree with all of your "selections" Crash. They are all good ones. The free ones in fact seem to be some of the best. Beware of the not so well known ones. I use Zone Alarm, Ad Aware, Spyware Blaster and Search and Destroy on several computers I maintain. I would add Microsoft's free beta antspyware program to the list, which they got by buying out Giant antispyware. This is one of the best antispyware programs I've seen, and it automatically scans at preset times and updates itself. Everyone on a computer anywhere needs a firewall, antivirus and antispyware software. You really know your stuff. I am a chemist, computers are only a hobby for me. You must be a computer pro. Most all of These system protectors do different things or work in a different way than the others. I agree, they are very poorly understood by most. I would also empathsize the importance
of keeping one's browser updated, whether it's Explorer, Firefox or whatever.
Microsoft at least, seems to be fond of putting out several security and other updates every year.

Regards,

Glenn

Retired or retarded? Much the same. I'm retired...

Last edited by TheAvenger : 16th April 2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 16th April 2006, 12:13 PM

Glenn,

Do you realise that spyware comes with MS XP 'home' software....it would be naive to think that MS anti spyware removes their own spyware....

The following address should be mandatory for all users of MS Windows software from Windows 95 to Windows Vista....deals with anything and everything that happens with that software.

Check it out at www.annoyances.org it's free too.

Cheers.

Squirter.
Old 16th April 2006, 12:50 PM

it is not intended to bag any software but to suggest my own experiences.

recently i had an attack of pop-under adware which kept taking over my internet explorer to the point that i couldnt do anything on it.
i had overlays of 10 to 12 advertisements on the screen and popping up so frequently that i needed an answer i went searching on the internet.

super antispyware seemed to turn out to be a spyware program
it actually popped up on screen to tell me that i had spyware.
i would run anti spyware removers etc and it couldnt stop the problem.
the ones i tried were the microsoft one and trend which had been superior to the microsoft anti spy. previously i had subscribed to mcafee and it was taken over by the "about blank" virus it completely took over the mcafee screen as well as internet explorer.

avast anti-virus removed the about blank virus and all others and super ad blocker removed the popups and pop under plague that i was getting.
super ad blocker removed the problems during its trial period which many programs wont do. they will tell you about the spyware but wont remove until you purchase.
both avast (free to home users" and "super ad blocker" were the best i have used and have not had any problems since.
(ps i bought super ad blocker after the trial period and installed it on all my computers"

(for what all that is worth"
spyware and viruses are a form of extreme angst to users and many of the solutions are not up to it either.
Old 16th April 2006, 03:25 PM

G'day Crash,

2/3rd's. of peoples problems with pop-ups, gunge and the like, is self inflected (we've all been there) it's the address's they surf (where do they go to get this crap)....after they've been bitten a couple of times or had a mother-board stuff-up, or had to shell out for another PC they soon learn.

Those address's you posted I could not agree more.

Cheers.
Old 16th April 2006, 04:31 PM

I have found etrust to be a very good spyware and antivirus program. Its about $50 a year and im yet to have any computer downtime over the last two years.
I have previously beeen seduced by the glossy boxes of nortons and found it to slow the computer down far to much.
Using a non microsoft internet explorer helps also, for this i like mozilla.