Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Archive > Online Poker Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 31st January 2005, 06:52 PM

Default Bluffing someone online

My question is very simple.
How do you bluff someone online? Or how can you tell if they are bluffing you? When you're playing a social game of poker you can tell what certain players are doing by the way they talk, place their bets etc. You know you will be able to usually bluff some by a confident raise and not others. You might know when someone puts a big raise out there and their voice quavers, or they fiddle around with their chips for a while, or they may appear over confident that they are bluffing you. But how do you do know that online?
Thanks.
Marcus.
Old 31st January 2005, 08:17 PM
Banned

Good question Marcus. Are you an Aussie playing online o/s. I haven't ventured into an o/s online poker site as yet because I thought it was illegal here in Australia.

What site do you play at if you live in Aust?
Old 31st January 2005, 08:47 PM

Hello Jack Daniels,
I'm a social poker player here. Thinking of playing online. As far as I know its legal. The Party Poker site above looks interesting. I'm just wondering how you bluff anyone. Or do you just have to play a very solid game. Sit out and snipe when you've got a good hand.
Cheers,
Marcus
Old 1st February 2005, 01:47 PM
Administrator

I play on Party Poker and in my opinion bluffing is just different online, it still exists.

You can set your computer to raise so that the bet is made instantly as if there was no thought...that can look like a bluff. Or you can play cards that offer good concealment then play passively if you draw something good so that when you suddenly bet out on a card that shouldn't have helped much it looks like you're bluffing but you're not.

Online it comes down more to what went on earlier and how people bet pre flop. That can often be an indication of a bluff. For example if they didn't raise pre-flop with a premium hand that is just bad play, so you can assume if they didn't bet out then that they don't hold certain combinations of cards. If they suddenly start betting big on a scary board that suits premium card holders after you have indicated weakness, it can sometimes signal a bluff.

You're right about playing tight and sniping though, as long as you introduce a bit of variety sometimes that is probably the best strategy in the looser games at the lower stakes tables.
Old 23rd February 2005, 02:02 PM

Default bluffing works

Bluffing is absolutely necessary to win online or off. Online, at most should be in a pot with 2 others. More than that forget it. Same rules apply as normal. Don't bluff with absolutely nothing, don't bluff a big winner or big loser.

Although its hard, with all the flitting in and out of players, try and keep track of the people you play against (ie notes) and if you watch them carefully they can give themselves away. ie click fast when they have good hands, slower with bad hands.

I play at Ladbrokes which seems to accept Aussies.
Old 19th March 2005, 07:34 PM

Default Bluffing advice

try not to bluff too much online as most players (at the lower limits) will call you down. I have found that at a very tight table or playing a tournament are the best times to bluff.

All poker sites accept australian players, I have played at at least ten different sites and have had no trouble using netteller to fund my poker accounts and collect poker winnings.

Most of my winnings come from the many bonuses that the sites give you for signing up or for reloading your account, You can make heaps of money just collecting these bonuses and playing break-even poker.

for a more detailed discusiion of bluffing try

http://www.internettexasholdem.com/...er%3a-bluffing/

cheers
dink