Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Archive > Online Poker Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 12th April 2005, 05:39 PM
Suspended. Invalid e-mail address.

Default Limit S&G's

I suppose this wont spawn too many replies, but I hope somebody can share their experience.

Normally I play low limit ring games, but after a winning session I often like to spend some of my newly accumulated monies in a $6 limit holdem S&G for fun. Except now the fun factor is decreasing. Fun is winning, at least occasionally, and I keep losing (Of four attempts my results are 4th, 5th, 8th and 4th). Pathetic because I know that I'm better than probably 70% of my opponents in a ring game, so therefore I ought to be the same at a S&G. Maybe I need to change my strategy or I'll just quit limit S&G's altogether. The problem seems to be that the table plays tighter than what you'd normally get in a ring game, and with the increasing blinds we end up with 7 or 8 players left with the max chip stack about 4 times the big blind. In other words it becomes a bit of a lottery. Have others found this to be common in limit S&G's? And what strategies should one use in these games? Unless somebody can recommend something good I'm just going to stop playing them.
Old 14th May 2005, 02:06 AM
Administrator

Default Tournament strategy

There is an excellent series of articles about the important differences between ring and tournament strategy on Steve Badger's website. Can't remember the url but a search should find him. I think it is something like playwinningpoker.com

I found it originally via a Google search for 'holdem tournament strategy.'

However your opponents play there is always a way to adapt and maximise your chances.
Old 2nd June 2005, 02:17 PM
Banned

Forget limit sngs, NL sngs are where the money is at. SNGs (particuarly at party poker) aren't really about playing traditional hold'em (postflop). It's all about preflop. If you get a few key concepts down and apply them effectively, profiting off the lower buyins is extremely easy. I used to SNG quite a bit (700 at the $33s with 10% ROI, 1200 at the $22s with 29% ROI, 250 at the $55s with 17% ROI). This was mostly 6tabling.

Now I play O8 3/6 and HU sngs (I like them). At my current O8 skill level I'd make more off sngs ($80+ US an hour), but I just don't enjoy them anymore. Cash games are a nice change of pace. That said, sngs can be VERY profitable and there is a wealth of info out there about how to beat them. Try 2+2 forums.
Old 2nd June 2005, 05:41 PM
Administrator

What do you mean by 08 skill level and what is 2+2 forums?

Thanks for the post. Very informative.
Old 2nd June 2005, 08:24 PM
Banned

o8 skill level means skill level at omaha 8 (type of poker).

2+2 is a website like this but dedicated to poker, plenty of pros there.