Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 5th November 2014, 11:13 AM

Unhappy The reality of horseracing deaths

It's always heartbreaking to see horse deaths on racetracks, and even more heartbreaking to see jockey deaths.

The groups have all started again.
Protesting racing as a cruel and inhumane sport.

Let's get some perspective on this.
Horses are bred to race, they are mostly treated with the very best of care by trainers and strappers.
Jockeys have been in tears over the death of horses.

According to one group, 125 horses died in the last twelve months on racetracks.

With an average field size of 10, racing events every day, in almost every state, it totals over 100,000 horses racing in a year.
The percentage of deaths is less than 0.12%.
Freak accidents, heart attacks, strokes and breakdowns occur.

But not as often as in rodeos, pony clubs, show jumping, float accidents, paddock accidents, cross country events, colic, laminitis, etc. etc.

These groups were protesting outside the gates of Flemington, and in fact got their facts totally wrong when interviewed.

The jockey put the whip away at the 600m mark when he knew something was wrong with Admire Rakti and eased the horse down. The horse was taken to be swabbed and was not well, he collapsed and died in his stall. A heart attack is very unlikely, more like an internal rupture, but we'll know more after the autopsy.

Araldo was a freak accident, when a child waved a white flag in front of the horse's nose and the horse freaked, jumping a steel fence shattering his cannon bone. What parents allow their child to scare a horse?

This is very sad and heartbreaking for owners, strappers, trainers, jockeys, but the reality is that less deaths occur in horseracing, than any other equestrian sport or even paddock horses.

It left me with a sad feeling, but perspective is needed.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 5th November 2014, 12:49 PM

Well said.
Old 5th November 2014, 02:18 PM

FIRST CLASS post Chrome. Thank you for an 'insider's view' here. It is very much needed in this instance I believe and I rate what you say on the matter VERY highly indeed.

Cheers Bud.

LG
Old 7th November 2014, 02:54 AM

If it wasn't such a public event nothing would have ever been said, these groups love to spread what they believe is the truth, same as the whip argument, they fail to realize there would be far more accidents if the whip was not used because many jockeys would not have control of where their mount was headed with out it, how many times in the head on film do you see a jockey switch hands to change the direction of the horse so as not to cause interference.

Have seen so many posts on FB about how cruel the horses are treated, i wonder how many of these people have caged birds at home.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 7th November 2014, 11:42 AM

Mostly because they see one horrible image, but they have no idea about horses or the way they are treated with royalty.
My ex racehorse loved to run as soon as he saw an open space. It was all I could do to hold him back, and I never used a whip on him.

As a horse breaker and trainer, I can tell you that I've seen some horrible sights in the equestrian fields. Horses starved, owners that know nothing about keeping horses, neglected horses and parents encouraging children on untrained ponies to give the horse a crack with the whip. Then there's horses that are in a pen of mud and faeces up to their hocks
This lady had won all sorts of dressage ribbons!
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg