Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 16th November 2007, 08:44 AM
Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg
Hi, Crash.

When I tested the system with 20 races, place betting slightly outperformed win, and as I like place betting I was more interested in this.

However, when Merriguy looked at N.Z, his figures favoured win betting, and as you point out live betting has now also done the same. Anyway, if either proves profitable I'll be happy even though I have a (maybe unreasonable?) bias with Place solely because it has a higher strike rate.

I can understand the place preference among many punters in any type of betting. As far as systems go though, they all seem to pay better for the win. Basically because most place payouts are not 1/3 win price, but more times than not, substantially less. $6w $2p is not 1/3 the place either. That's $5 profit for the win and $1 profit the place or 1/5th the win profit. I'm sure your aware of this but many punters are not.

Even when betting place based on price, it's very hard to ensure 1/3rd or better price, especially betting TAB as the prices change after the jump. In the end it all comes down to value and win price has more of it than place.

Last edited by crash : 16th November 2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 16th November 2007, 09:05 AM
Beagle

Hello Michael Wasn't there another method put forward on this forum along the same lines as yours except you only backed the 100 pointers if they were placed last start? It actually has a strike rate pretty much the same as yours I think but I don't have a data base to check it out. Some one might like to have a look at it for me. Thanks all.
Old 16th November 2007, 09:32 AM

Wink

Hi, Beagle.

I can't recall the exact rules but I think it also had to be a C, D or T winner. These were more than likely the fave or close to it, so even if the strike rate was basically the same then the divvies were less. I think it may have been successful for a period of time and then went backwards.

Crash, you are right, but it would be expected that the place divvy should more or less be 1/3 of the win divvy because the TAB take-out is identical for both types of bets. But comparing Unitab win and place divvies this is not the case - it favors win betting precisely as you say. Even that celebrated periodical we are all aware of (not Party's Plum Movers) that sells systems will proudly proclaim the POT on win betting, and sometimes also the POT on place betting. In these instances the POT on win can often be more than sixfold the Pot on place. One could easily come to the conclusion that something mischievous has infected the TABs calcs on place divvies.

Last edited by michaelg : 16th November 2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 16th November 2007, 09:54 AM
Suspended.

Some punters just like the place bet because they collect more often. If they bet smaller amounts for the win to allow for larger runs of outs, they would be a lot better off.
Old 16th November 2007, 11:41 AM

Wink

It's not unusual for me to have a place-only bet just for that reason - more collects.

From yesterday's 7 selections there were 2 winners paying a total of $17.30 and $4.60 for the place. I use NSW TAB divvies because I bet with them. However, I do all my testing with Unitab because they are so much easier to navigate.

There have now been 2 winners from 12 races for a profit of $5.30, and 3 placegetters for a loss of $5.80.

Today's selections:
Moonee Valley R4 no.8 - Tahnee
Rocky R1 no.8 - Thy Spur
Rocky R7 no.5 - Impulsive Partners
Gundagai R3 no.11 - Vernis
Moe R6 no.3 - Spot The Line
Coffs R1 no.2 - Jestapatch
Coffs R4 no.16 - Rowlocks
Coffs R5 no.5 - Rainbow's View
Coffs R9 no.13 - Mystic Arch.

I have overlooked Darwin because NSW TAB are not betting on that venue.
Old 16th November 2007, 07:30 PM
Beagle

Yes Michael, I do remember that one now. It seems a lot of people got off that particular method pretty early but it is still getting a good number of winners. As in all methods concerning 100 pointers on Unitab, they will all have good runs at times.
Old 17th November 2007, 08:52 AM

Micheal.

Tested your system on my database and it shows a loss long term.

I don't frequent here much anymore so sorry it took so long to reply with the results.

Good luck.
Old 17th November 2007, 09:21 AM

Wink

Hi, Wesmip1.

Thanks for the info although it's disappointing. Is it possible to check the results just for the past 7 days to see if they tally with mine? I'll continue with the method in the meantime, and hope...

Yesterday was not a bad day. 2 winners from 9 selections for a loss $0.80, and 4 placegetters for a profit of $4.90. Rocky R6 no.7 was almost a selection - the jockey fell at its second-last start, so even though it was unplaced at both its last starts I decided to omit it. Of course it won, paying $26.80 and $6.20.

There have now been 4 winners from 21 selections for a profit of $4.70, and 7 placegetters for a loss of $0.90.

Today's selections:
Townsville R3 no.6 - Corporate Cup
Wyong R7 no.10 - The Huckster
Wyong R8 no.8 - Mr Melov
Wyong R10 no.3 - Escudero
Sandown R7 no.1 - Masked Assassin
Gundagai R3 no.5 - Lauren Lou
Gundagai R6 no.3 - Xaartrix
Mornington R2 no.7 - Zivalee
Mornington R3 no.1 - Cat Prince
Mornington R4 no.4 - Prince Of Villains
Mornington R6 no.2 - Scar
Mornington R8 no.2 - Silver Service
Cheltenham R6 no.3 - Idalou
Ascot R3 no.9 - Midtime
Ascot R6 no.7 - Charlie Beau
Ascot R9 no.9 - Upgrade
Roma R3 no.8 - Pedro's Opinion
Roma R4 no.7 - King Corona
Old 18th November 2007, 11:31 AM

Wink

A bad day yesterday - 2 winners from 18 selections for a loss of $12.90 and 7 placegetters for a loss of $3.90. If it does not improve today I'll have to think again about it.

Ararat R2 no.1 - Baylee Bliss
Ararat R9 no.15 - My Bid
Yarra Valley R1 no.8 - Shesha
Yarra Valley R3 no.10 - Soserio
Yarra Valley R7 no.2 - Manihi lad
Bunbury R2 no.7 - Buck The Odds
Bunbury R6 no.7 - Twice The Magic
Bunbury R8 no.3 - Captain Woodrow
Launceston R10 no.5 - Biological Boss
Strathalbyn R2 no.13 - Sivercitymiss.

Last edited by michaelg : 18th November 2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 19th November 2007, 12:08 PM

Wink

From yesterday's 10 selections there was one winner of $6.80.

There have now been 7 winners from 49 selections for a loss of $11.40. If I had included the selection on Friday that paid $26.80 the system would be in profit so 'll give it a little longer...

Today's selections:
Mackay R5 no.9 - Legal Jargon
Tatura R3 no.6 - Miserly
Tatura R6 no.3 - Outlander.