Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 24th May 2016, 12:58 PM

Lightbulb Are Trainers Aware?

I have just acquired a thoroughbred gelding from an ex jockey turned trainer.
The horse and trainer will be un named because firstly it's not personal, secondly I think it could be industry wide, and thirdly the trainer was kind enough to give him to me for free. And for that, I will be eternally grateful.
He may be giving me more horses to save as well.

The horse is retired and shall remain retired with me.

The point of the post is about form and why horses, even champions lose form. He has Octagonal and Encosta De Lago grand sires.
He only had 5 starts.
He finished 5.8L off the winner at his first start.
2.45L off the winner at his second start.
1.05L off the winner at his third start.
Then something went horribly wrong, he was improving and suddenly he was finishing 11.25L and then 11.30L off the winner and was retired.
Same class and exact same weight.

Checked his hooves all o.k. - farrier says perfect!
Checked him for ulcers, colic, swelling, tendons, passed with flying colours according to vet.
When working him, I could see something was wrong in his behaviour, something was hurting him. He was comfortable going clockwise (Sydney way), but uncomfortable going anti clockwise. Would stop and try and turn.
Long story short, Equine Osteopath gave him a thorough going over and says he has an injured off side shoulder and nearside rear muscle which is causing the shoulder pain.

a) Are trainers aware of the fantastic treatments Osteos can do and pick up that vets cannot? Because this horse is completely treatable and should be right within a month.
b) Are punters aware that trainers sometimes miss these things and that simply spelling a horse does not remedy a lot of problems?

From a form point of view, look for a sharp decline in form in similar class, as in lengths beaten, and avoid or lay these horses, because I've spoken to many trainers who believe Equine Osteopaths are Hokus Pocus.

I credit D Weir's success to the salt therapy he gives his horses, both in and out of the water. Salt air has been found to loosen mucus, congestion, and clear the lungs. (He was not the trainer mentioned above by the way).

Food for thought.
*RaceCensus now updated to 29/02/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 25th May 2016, 06:57 AM

Interesting post.

Anything which can keep horses in the races for longer is a good thing for punters, trainers and owners.