Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 22nd June 2017, 05:35 PM

Default NSW racing increase in Betfair tax

Just got an email saying that racing nsw have increased by 33% the fee they charge to mobs like BF.
BF have announced they are lifting the base charges from 8% to 10% and bringing back the turnover charge for NSW racing.

I guess the solution for me is easy.
I wont be betting on NSW racing anymore as I dont support such outrageous greed.
My decision is made easier due to the fact that NSW racing is my weakest state for betting :-)
Old 22nd June 2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Every Topic
Just got an email saying that racing nsw have increased by 33% the fee they charge to mobs like BF.
BF have announced they are lifting the base charges from 8% to 10% and bringing back the turnover charge for NSW racing.

I guess the solution for me is easy.
I wont be betting on NSW racing anymore as I dont support such outrageous greed.
My decision is made easier due to the fact that NSW racing is my weakest state for betting :-)

I agree on the fact there racing is second class.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:04 PM

Yep sounds crap.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/horsera...622-gww5gy.html

NSW doesn't understand they are now against other wagering options. Sportsbetting is growing exponentially while horse racing revenue is sliding. Here is a clear reason why. 0.5% raise in fees might make revenues jump in the short term but the loss of the consumer means revenues longer term will see horse racing in NSW continue to lose market share. To offset this they will increase their fees again and corporates will stop offering the fields.

Its a shame they are killing the industry all in the name of them trying to protect it. It will cause hundreds, maybe thousands, of job losses over the next decade and they won't even realise why it is happening.
Old 23rd June 2017, 05:31 AM

The next step will be to increase Tab takeouts, in the UK they still only have the 5% commission, most races there have close to 1 mil traded, i know this is not all about betfair but fee rises can't be a good idea.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 23rd June 2017, 05:46 AM

Without knowing the full background deals/fee structure obviously, would it not be a great time for the likes of VIC/QLD to announce a reduction in there fees to bring it down to a 5% commission to really try and get punters to switch over to there product instead of NSW?

More than likely wishful thinking, but one can dream I guess.
Old 23rd June 2017, 07:37 AM

I guess I have always held the view that if less people are using your product there must be one (or many) reasons why they are going elsewhere.
Putting your prices up doesnt increase the number of customers who want to use your product!
It is so typical of the short term mindset of the Australian business community to do this sort of thing and it will certainly lead to a long term loss of revenue.
It is the same as the TAB putting up the take out for saturday events. It is just corporate greed with no understanding of how to increase market share by being "better".
There are lots of new, value for money events they could create that would interest the public and bring in more punters and more public discussion.
Pathetic!
:-)
Old 23rd June 2017, 10:01 AM

Angry

V'Landy's at his worst.....again.
They have to pay for their unaffordable stupid mountain race somehow.