Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Race Betting Systems
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 7th May 2015, 10:20 PM

Default Backing Runners In Play

A question for those who do it, how difficult is it to back a runner if it's price in running hits 1.50 and get matched?

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 8th May 2015, 06:00 AM
Banned

Shaun, I assume you're talking about a Lay-Back scenario whereby the Back bet is your hedge against further losses?

If so, it's something I've been looking at (by no means an expert) and can only summarise with, "there's no fix-all formula". Some markets just jump from say $1.80 to $1.30. Others, just when you think you've found a limit they touch it, you take a loss, and it bounces straight up and you could've made a motza if you held your nerve! Very difficult.

My summation is, only hedge manually (not with a bot), watching live vision, as most of the moves that go against you are wishful thinking Backers or blind bots just following an algorithm, whilst you can plainly see the horse is about to get swamped by fast approaching backmarkers. Good luck.

Whilst on the subject of motzas, taking advantage of those huge price spikes is a thread on the Bet Angel forum (accessible to anyone) called 'Fat Fingers". You set a bot up with limits way out of the market, hoping to catch one? Could be a nice 'xmas stocking' filler, working in the background.
Here's a youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOmK7dQqnR4
Old 8th May 2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinconpaul
Shaun, I assume you're talking about a Lay-Back scenario whereby the Back bet is your hedge against further losses?

If so, it's something I've been looking at (by no means an expert) and can only summarise with, "there's no fix-all formula". Some markets just jump from say $1.80 to $1.30. Others, just when you think you've found a limit they touch it, you take a loss, and it bounces straight up and you could've made a motza if you held your nerve! Very difficult.

My summation is, only hedge manually (not with a bot), watching live vision, as most of the moves that go against you are wishful thinking Backers or blind bots just following an algorithm, whilst you can plainly see the horse is about to get swamped by fast approaching backmarkers. Good luck.

Whilst on the subject of motzas, taking advantage of those huge price spikes is a thread on the Bet Angel forum (accessible to anyone) called 'Fat Fingers". You set a bot up with limits way out of the market, hoping to catch one? Could be a nice 'xmas stocking' filler, working in the background.
Here's a youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOmK7dQqnR4

Thanks for the info, i guess like everything Betfair just because it is there you can't always get it, i will have to run some live trials as i always do to see how this works.

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
Old 8th May 2015, 11:21 AM
Banned

A good example was Lismore 1. Metsalla $1.83 never lead, but After The Bounce always had it's nose in front and looked the winner, despite the photo finish. However, Metsalla went over the line with a $1.01 Back price. Any bot would have choked long before and triggered the hedge.