Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10th March 2018, 12:03 PM
Shaun Shaun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 5,318
Default Calling UselessBettor

Hey mate, i am going to bite the bullet and try and learn some real programming, from what i have read Python would be the best option, what are your thoughts?

I learn best from seeing examples of what i need to learn, if you have any examples of coding you have done in Python to scrap websites would you be willing to share those to give me a leg up on learning this language?
__________________
One Drive

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
_______________________________________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10th March 2018, 03:28 PM
UselessBettor UselessBettor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,711
Default

Good on you for taking the plunge.

If you already automate excel then .Net or C# is probably the most familiar.

Python is good to learn and it is very powerful but can be a bit hard to understand.

I use Java for no other reason then I already knew how to do it when I started coding my horse racing systems.

Unfortunately the Betfair developer forum no longer exists. It had lots of sample code which is now no longer available.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10th March 2018, 04:24 PM
Shaun Shaun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 5,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
Good on you for taking the plunge.

If you already automate excel then .Net or C# is probably the most familiar.

Python is good to learn and it is very powerful but can be a bit hard to understand.

I use Java for no other reason then I already knew how to do it when I started coding my horse racing systems.

Unfortunately the Betfair developer forum no longer exists. It had lots of sample code which is now no longer available.


I had a read up on these 2 languages and can see they may be a better choice, .NET came from the old days of basic, i used to code simple race ratings in Qbasic back in the 90s, honestly i would be starting from scratch as what i do in excel is very simple stuff, i suppose i won't know if i like it until i try it, i may call on you again if i get stuck, am sure you could be helpful.
__________________
One Drive

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
_______________________________________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10th March 2018, 05:25 PM
UselessBettor UselessBettor is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,711
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
I had a read up on these 2 languages and can see they may be a better choice, .NET came from the old days of basic, i used to code simple race ratings in Qbasic back in the 90s, honestly i would be starting from scratch as what i do in excel is very simple stuff, i suppose i won't know if i like it until i try it, i may call on you again if i get stuck, am sure you could be helpful.


If you are familiar with basic then yes go the .Net/C# route.

A lot of people use python though so there are a large number of examples out there and a lot of libraries to do things. THe problem with ython is between version 2 and 3 there are major differences and code written for 2 doesn't work in 3. For this reason there is almost 2 camps in the python coders and one stays with the old version of it and the others adopt the new version. Can be a nightmare when you are trying to work out why your examples are not working.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10th March 2018, 05:47 PM
Shaun Shaun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 5,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
If you are familiar with basic then yes go the .Net/C# route.

A lot of people use python though so there are a large number of examples out there and a lot of libraries to do things. THe problem with ython is between version 2 and 3 there are major differences and code written for 2 doesn't work in 3. For this reason there is almost 2 camps in the python coders and one stays with the old version of it and the others adopt the new version. Can be a nightmare when you are trying to work out why your examples are not working.


Yes i did read that, if i went with Python it would be 3, no point going backwards.
__________________
One Drive

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
_______________________________________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13th March 2018, 12:14 PM
Shaun Shaun is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 1970
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 5,318
Default

I found this today.
https://www.visualstudio.com/vs/community/
Seems to be a website that you can choose from many languages, i am installing C#
__________________
One Drive

"If the corporates are treating you poorly , just go elsewhere."
"If they need you , they will soon find out."
"If you need them , you will soon find out."
--moeee
_______________________________________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT +10. The time now is 11:06 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2008 OZmium Pty. Ltd. All rights reserved . ACN 091184655