Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Archive > AFL Australian Rules Football Forum
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 13th February 2005, 08:39 AM

Default Should Nick Riewoldt captain St. Kilda?

He' been named captain for 2005. Not sure about Grant Thomas's rotation polcy. Does it demean the role of the captain. Also, I'm wondering whether Riewoldt should be captaining players like Aaron Hamill and Robert Harvey. I mean, for most of Harvey's career Riewoldt was just a school kid dreaming of playing AFL footy and admiring the skills of players like Harvey. Now he's his captain.
Old 13th February 2005, 09:02 AM

He's obviously going to be their captain in future years, so why not start now. He's about the same age as Carey was and I think he could end up being as inspirational a leader to St Kilda as Carey was to North Melbourne. As for captaining Harvey, I guess it's the same as Cameron White being Captain of the Victorian Cricket team with Shane Warne in the side. I guess that doesn't happen every game though, does it?

Last edited by Sportz : 13th February 2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old 13th February 2005, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportz
He's about the same age as Carey was and I think he could end up being as inspirational a leader to St Kilda as Carey was to North Melbourne.

Agree with that. But I can't remember whether North at that time had some much older champions like a Robert Harvey in the team. Carey also wasn't appointed as a one year captain of a team that had been successful the year before, just missing out on making a grand final.
Old 13th February 2005, 09:52 AM
Former Member

You have to admire Thomas because he's a coach who doesn't do things by convention. He copped the most bagging in the press you've ever seen when Blighty got the chop and took over as coach and for the next year they said he was a suburban level coach and had no idea. Tactically, he may be no Malthouse or Paganv but remember this; he is molding together a team of absolute stars who desperately want to win for each other and when that happens it is an almost unstoppable force. I think his rotational policy is fantastic; do you seriously think Harvey or Hammill are going to stop being leaders on or off the field simply because they don't have the official title of captain. OF COURSE not, but what it means is Riewoldt and Lenny Hayes are given more responsibility which will fast track there development.

Next year Luke Ball will probly be given the role which will see Saint Kilda eventually have a team of fantastic leaders and it's scary how good this team may become.
Old 18th February 2005, 10:50 AM

As a St.Kilda supporter, I welcome him into the captain role. He will be one of the dominant players in the competition for many years to come...

Personally I would have loved to see Max Hudgton lead the team this year. He is, IMO, what St.Kilda is all about, an underdog. Doesn't look like much but is always on his man and gives it everything. He is not a name that comes up much but would be one of the first to appear every week when the side is selected.

These days captain is just a title, most teams now have a leadership group of about 6 or 7 players so I have no problem in rotating captains from year to year.

Regarding Robert Harvey, he doesn't need to be captain. He already has the respect of everybody that knows anything about football. Saints will win the premiership this year, not neccessarily a gimme, but Harvey cannot go down as the best player to never win a premiership.......
Old 18th February 2005, 11:02 AM
Suspended

I'm not big into who,what when and where of footy,more the seat of your pants stuff.
But I seem to feel that Hawthorn footy club fell apart after Crawford became captain.
Not that it was his fault,maybe just a coincidence.
Like,I reckon I sing okay in the shower,but if I tried on the public stage,the only shower would be of rotten tomatoes.
Some can in private but not in public.