Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 21st July 2005, 02:06 PM

Default Is Class The Defining Factor In The Selection Process?

With the new season imminent it is an opportune time to discuss this issue. As the high class "carnival" horses begin to reappear and embark upon their spring campaigns there should be some prime opportunities for the astute punter to secure good priced winners.
Many will say that the path to selecting winners is a combination of nimuerous factors, eg. weight,barriers,jockey,trainer,breeding,fitness,ti me ratings etc.
Horses with a win strike rate of 20-25% and an overall place percentage of >80%are generally deemed to be class horses. Generally, horses with this proven consistency ratio can be expected to perform similarly in the future.
Therefore, the astute punter can benefit from these solid betting prospects.
He/She may even identify such horses in races where the general consensus suggests they have little chance. Yet, time and again they(ie.class horses) put up herculean efforts to defeat elite fields at surprisingly generous odds.
Class is the only factor which is not variable. Horses with this attribute regularly overcome adverse circumstances and win at apparently unsuitable distances against elite opposition.
What gets them home in many a tight finish after overcoming seemingly insurmountable obstacles? - "CLASS."
Anyone have any thoughts on this matter?
Cheers.
Old 21st July 2005, 04:39 PM

I agree class is one of the best indicators. I often say to myself after a losing race "damn I knew that was the best horse in the race, why didn't I back it"? Usually because factors such as weight, value and form of other runners is irresistable. I find if you back the besty horse in the race in most races you will do well.
Old 23rd July 2005, 02:44 PM

Smile Is Class The Defining Factor In the Selection Process

Hullo umrum,

Yes, we have all done that.
Particularly, betting on the races run during the week. The astute punter identifies many opportunities in the more obscure venues on the provincial and country circuit, particularly on the eastern seabourne.
As another contributor, Kenchar, said in a recent post.....all it needs is patience and I agree with him that it is easier said than done. We cannot resist the allure of having one more bet on that "certainty" in the upcoming race....wherever that may be.
As you indicated though, if punters restrict their bets to "class" horses they will definitely notice an improvement in their strike-rate and eventual POT.
Cheers.
Old 23rd July 2005, 03:44 PM

Smile Is Class The Defining Factor In The Selection Process

Well..., Melb Race 6 has now been run and won superbly by that "class" horse," Super Elegant. A protest "muddied the waters" however my view of the head-on shot suggested there was no real chance of success.
I believed there were only two real chances, Super Elegant and that great old campaigner, Bomber Bill. Other "pretenders" such as Bennetts Green and Wildly were mainly the product of media hype.
Dilly Dally ran a good race and may be one for the future.
It confirms my point that champion horses will invariably come through as they possess that defined quality of "class."
Within certain parameters, even excessive weight cannot bring this class of horse back to the field. At the wfa scale, really, Wildly and Bennetts Green had no real chance. However, they should pay their way this spring and the astute punter may secure generous odds....just be patient and wait for the opportunities.

Cheers.
Old 23rd July 2005, 04:11 PM

Respected race-caller, Greg Miles, quoted during the win of Super Elegant today: "displayed the ticker inside when the chips were down with this guy."
It is a tribute to a "class" horse and there are more of them out there awaiting the spring carnival.
The astute punter will spend the time in form study and reap the benefit of these opportunities.

Cheers.
Old 25th July 2005, 11:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanadu
Respected race-caller, Greg Miles, quoted during the win of Super Elegant today: "displayed the ticker inside when the chips were down with this guy."
It is a tribute to a "class" horse and there are more of them out there awaiting the spring carnival.
The astute punter will spend the time in form study and reap the benefit of these opportunities.

Cheers.

Yeah great horse. Only had three bets saturday one was super and a saver on dilly dally and the other salavat in perth so Super gave me a tidy profit. The dismissal of the protest was correct imo.

cheers
Old 27th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Default Is Class The Defining Factor In The Selection Process

Yes Umrum, as I said earlier, we are on the threshhold of the new racing season and there will be innumerable betting/profit-making possibilities for us this Spring.
All the best.
Old 28th July 2005, 12:28 PM

Class is a key but a class horse can not race at a supreme level race after race,year after year,eventualy it gets old and weary.

Imo we should be looking for horses that have earned their "class" reputation as recently as possible.
Old 28th July 2005, 02:02 PM

Yeah, Dale, you're right, as the "old guard" age and retire, there are always a number of younger aspirants ready and able to take over as the latest "big thing."
However, the only problem with this hype is that many a "boom" horse fails to maintain their form due to injury or just "training off."
The class horses which I highlight are those that have displayed exceptional consistency against elite opposition over the last few seasons.
So take the "big picture" approach.....there are plenty of prospects out there.
Now, please excuse me as I am about to begin my form study for the weekend races and hopefully identify those "class" horses which the media and racing pundits have generally under-estimated and may provide me with a profitable betting opportunity.

Cheers.
Old 28th July 2005, 04:20 PM

I would like to maybe seek the input of a form analyst, osulldj in this matter.
I respect his opinion and would like to hear his insight into his own form analysis(without giving any secrets away).
Looking forward to his incisive comments.

Cheers.