Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 29th July 2005, 01:09 AM

Get on the Kid this weekend Xanadu. He always drifts in the market, and looks extremely hard to beat, is he the class horse of the race? because i'd say Our Smoking Joe is classier, although his record is nowhere near as good as Dandy's. Wait for Dilly Dally to get down the Flemington straight, there are not many in the land that could beat her at wfa down the straight 6.
Old 30th July 2005, 01:34 PM

Smile Is Class The defining Factor in The Selection Process

Yes, Mr ed, the Kid certainly has an enviable record at the Valley and should run well. My only concern is a 3kg boy on topweights which I am usually averse to backing. However, I believe the apprentice has previously won on the kid so this nullifies any doubts about his ability to handle "the Moonee Valley champ." I also agree with your comment about Our Smoking Joe, a horse upon which I have won a bit in the past. Also, Dilly Dally,... like yourself, I noticed the exceptional run last week and in the right race at the right distance on the right track, what can stop her from cleaning up this Spring?

Cheers.
Old 30th July 2005, 02:19 PM

Default Is Class The Defining Factor In the Selection Process

Mr ed, one thing I forgot to mention in my reply to you. Later today, at 3:10 p.m. EST, race 6 in Sydney, there are a number of "class" horses running-Spark Of Life, Court's In Session, Dance Hero and one that I am keeping my eye on...King Rex. It has been in good form and is to be ridden by Billy Idol...the only question is...can it step up? There is a big media push for Snippetson but I like to see at least ten starts from any horse before, statistically, I can evaluate whether it qualifies as a "class" horse.
Very interesting race but I will be dutch-betting if possible and having exotic bets hopefully to return a respectable POT. We'll see how it goes.

Cheers.
Old 30th July 2005, 03:22 PM

Default Is Class The Defining Factor In the Selection Process

Well, the big race has been run and won.....by a "class" horse, Dance Hero. Snippetson ran a good race and appears ready to "step up."
Spark Of Life ran a "good" race but was "burned-off" by the winner.
Presently ran a very "even" race and may have something in store for connections this Spring.
As I said, a very interesting race.....hmmmm. I'll study the video tonight.
Any thoughts?

Cheers.
Old 30th July 2005, 03:50 PM

Default Is Class The Defining Factor In The Selection Process

Well Mr ed, although "the kid' did not run up to our expectations, that grand campaignor, Our Smoking Joe did the right thing and not only covered our outlay but gave us a very nice POT,(ie. dutch-betting).
Question....do you think "the kid" was disappointing?
I'll study the video tonight to make up my own mind whether he is now "over the top."
However, you see why I have usually adhered to my edict of not backing 3kg apprentices on topweights(although, I had no complaints about the ride). I can assure you that if you delete this category of rider, you will show a better overall return on your investments.

Cheers.
Old 30th July 2005, 03:58 PM

Cool like what you say

hey xanadu,,,i think your very right with what you say about class today was a class race and in the end the class horese won how he wanted doubt i'll get 5 to 1 about him again for a while....
most people that punt enough to spend time here,and elsewhere cant wait long enough for the odd class race this time of year so they, me ,we,will try to find value else were....do you think its possible to find class in a ballarat class 6..............cheers gaz
Old 30th July 2005, 04:43 PM

G'Day gazman,

As you can see, 'class" horses, within certain parameters, will continue in their normal racing pattern, until, as mentioned by another contributor, they age, get injured or succumb to a better athlete.
That's fine, but it is up to the astute punter to decide when it is time to cease supporting the fading star and get on to the rising star.

Cheers.
Old 30th July 2005, 05:02 PM

Smile Is Class the Defining Factor In The Selection Process

Gazman,

Further to your post, yes I do believe that it is possible to find value at a provincial or country meeting. In fact, these meetings are my "happy hunting ground" for such chances.
Any horse, from an astute/leading stable dropping down to country class warrants further investigation although its form stats show...9976...etc
Hope this helps you.

Cheers.
Old 30th July 2005, 05:04 PM

Thumbs up

I thought Dandy Kid ran well enough, he needs it wet these days, and today was close enough to good. He was poorly ridden, he could've taken the passage the winner took although he wouldn't have got up. The winner despite having all the favors was very impressive and looks a real chance in a race like the Mooney Valley Cup, Winning Edge presentation, etc. Did back Dance Hero, unbelieveable discrepancy in the prices between it and Spark of Life, his run in the Straddie was so good aswell, i admit if the odds were $3 a piece i would've probably taken Spark of Life. Dance Hero is very close to the best horse Australia has and needs to start getting some recognition, he is highly underrated.
Old 30th July 2005, 05:12 PM

Yes, Mr ed,

A great win, but I noticed in a media report that doubts exist as to his ability to recreate his 2YO brilliance. Well, he showed the doubters and should proceed onto greater heights(injury free I hope).

Cheers.