Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 6th August 2005, 02:59 PM

Default Media Shortcomings

Are there others out there who feel that we punters are being short-changed by some so called media racing "experts?" These individuals are actually being paid to provide their "incisive" thoughts and let's face it, some are found wanting in their appraisals.
In recent statements by these "experts" we have heard comments, which, whilst not being word exact, the comments are as accurate as can be expected:
1) "if all the favourites won, nobody would bet"......duuuuh!
2) " the public are not entitled to know if there are to be a change of riding tactics in upcoming races"....duuuh!
3) After the recent Qld enquiry, another "expert" was heard to say something similar to: "doesn't matter if the punters have no confidence, they'll still back up next race, next day, next week.......
If you punters who actually keep this game viable think these comments are inappropriate then please share your views with the rest of we punting tragics.

Cheers.

Last edited by xanadu : 6th August 2005 at 03:04 PM. Reason: incorrect word
Old 6th August 2005, 05:20 PM
Banned

There would be plenty, but i'm not one, as i only listen to a couple of certain melbourne tipsters and NO -ONE -ELSE , i then turn the radio off and do my own form, use to listen a lot in the past but some of the dribble that they spit out is UTTER CRAP.
Old 6th August 2005, 05:36 PM

i have never listened to the experts i assume they get as many winners or more than most but there is a trick in it.
back in the days of joe brown and frank obrien and bert bryant we used to marvel at the similarities of the selections and the first 3 in the market.
statistically these win the higher percentage of races.
a tipster must be able to say he scores 33% of first selections to be a good tipster and what better way than to stay with the market.
as for inane comments generally i think they sound okay.

i like larry olsen as he is a considered commentator and doesnt get clever in his remarks.
Old 6th August 2005, 05:39 PM

GM,who do you listen to?
I thought Shane Templeton was a pretty good judge but they have taken him off the Qld Tab station.
Do you know if he still tips?
And yes Xanadu I think they take us for mugs.
Old 6th August 2005, 05:46 PM

Thumbs up

I think they're great, they give ****************house tips so the real chances odds are greatly enhanced, bring on more.
Old 7th August 2005, 12:32 PM

I dont mind brendan tupper. I always make my own decisions based on my own form study but occasionaly will have a small interest bet when tupper has tipped something for 1st or 2nd that is paying over $20. I agree with Ed, they do help in getting value for your horse when the herd is following them, its just a shame if they tip the horse you like. As far as those comments made I would take them with a pinch of salt. The average punter is a mug and probably deserve it.
Old 7th August 2005, 02:17 PM

check tuppers tips out today at Ballarat. 5 races, 2 trifectas, 2 out of 3 in other 3 races.... not bad.
Old 7th August 2005, 05:38 PM

Wink

I would suggest that your comments on so-called experts in the beginning probably spawned the thought that you should go with your own judgement.

I believe that if you follow the horses for long enough and immerse yourself in information for long enough there is very little someone else can tell you. Not to say that you should'nt be open to what other people say but there is so much information at your fingertips now that you can be become a so called expert yourself.

For starters I would never listen to a race caller for tips because his job is a race caller - duuhh. Similar vein for a journo.

I find in Sydney the thoughts of Dufficy and Lambourne worth listening to but ultimately my bets are my thoughts.

Is there anyone else who finds it a laugh that bookies give out free tips. Like they would want you to back winners with them.
Old 7th August 2005, 10:27 PM

punters must do some form to win at all over a period of time,those punters who rely on tab markets move will eventually be working for the goverment.

a punter should limit his or hers daily wages and bet when you think there is value.framing your own markets is a great head start and what joy it is when you price one at $2.75 then the tab or bookies offer $8.00 each way all day you then dont have to be right to often to show a cop.
some race callers often give good selections at odds that run well thats shows to me that they are doing there form as well as calling(how do they do it ?).
some callers tip 1.2.3 in most races mmm but all in order they do i fantastic job.
i like tippsters who can tell if they will lead easily,or there is so much pace in this it should suit those at the back of the pack.
be careful of early morning favourites on a saturday 10.00am media talk eg:6 tipsters,2 callers,all forms of tv,radio,paper all tipping no.3 in the first all of a sudden no.3 opens $1.60 but should be $3.80 pros have a field day when this occurs.
bet win only with the tote and each way with the bookies,treat trifectas and other forms of multi betting as a token bet.these bet types have higher take out figures and you will collect every pancake day,trifectas are good if you really hook in but you need plenty folding.
wet tracks are ok to bet in but they need to be class4 or better remember on a heavy track there will be 60% of the field who will not get through it that leaves 40% that have a winning chance.if any runners in that 40% are $9.00 or better and conditions suit then you step in and have a bet remaember bet when there is value if you rate one at $10.00 and they are offering $4.50 then ignore the race.
take note of your jockey he or she must have there eye in (nothing worse then watching a jock out of form these riders cannot hold there form all year round remember that most immportant.
good luck all.
Old 7th August 2005, 10:37 PM
Banned

Some great advice there Hawkeye ..good stuff.
personally i've never taken much stock in any media tipsters..

Today was good example ..Mr Kiseki was a risky e/w chance today at the Sunny Coast..Brasil tipped it a special and it jumped at around $4 ..for a horse up in class with poor form over rall...
the toppy was the better horse and won like it..
agree completely about trifectas..my strikerate has increased a huge amount largely due to an increased stake ..
same with 1st 4's..

Last edited by maverick1993 : 7th August 2005 at 10:42 PM.