Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 25th October 2005, 11:56 AM

Mo,

Do you mind if I give you a bit of advice and constructive criticism?

Don't have to take any notice if you don't want to. I don't actually consider myself to be any sort of expert really, but I'd like to help out if I can.

I personally think you have to find a betting plan that suits you and stick to it!!! That's it. Simply concentrate your betting only on what you're good at, bet conservatively and stick to your plan.

Here's an example. Who did you pick in last year's Brownlow medal??? Chris Judd at about $6 or something, wasn't it? Now, who did you pick in this year's Brownlow medal??? Right. Ben Cousins who you picked out when he was also about $6 a few months out. Now, if you had simply concentrated only on the Brownlow medal over the last couple of seasons, you'd have done pretty damn well, wouldn't you? Okay, I don't expect you to restrict yourself to betting on just one event per year, but that's just an example of what I'm talking about. Look at your past betting activities. Work out what you had success with and more importantly, work out what you didn't have success with and think about why you lost with those bets. Get rid of all the impulse bets and any bets where you aren't totally confident you've sorted out the form. NEVER bet just for the sake of having a bet. Keep a certain amount of money per week for gambling (perhaps that $35 you were talking about), and if nothing takes your fancy, don't bet!!! Simply put that money aside for some other week when you are really keen and want to bet $70. Better still, put it in the bank!!!

Here's a few things I noticed about your AFL bets in the Punters comp. (I assume, that unlike me, those bets were pretty close to bets you made with real money) Firstly, you insisted on taking multis hoping for bigger dividends. Well, I personally think that for someone like you, it would be better to go for regular wins instead of going for a higher dividend. I mean, why should you penalise yourself just because you could only pick 2 out of 3 instead of 3 out of 3. Another thing which I think is dangerous is your method of putting all your eggs in one basket. Several times I noticed that your overall tipping was good, but it all came badly unstuck because you went heavy on one losing team and included them in all your multis. Big mistake in my opinion. So, here's what I'd suggest for you when betting on the AFL. No more than 2 legs in any multi, but preferably try to stick to single bets. Perhaps try to have 3 bets per weekend at odds of around $1.75 to $3.00 and try to average 2 wins out of 3.

I realise it's not AFL season now though, and that seems to be another problem for you. I noticed last year when the Football season finished, you went into the Greyhounds in a big way and that didn't seem to work. Similarly, this year, you seem to have had a go at the gallops, despite apparently not betting seriously on the horses for quite a few years? That in itself is a problem. You shouldn't just rush in and bet on any sport without being right up to speed with all the form. You can't take shortcuts when it comes to betting. If you want to bet on the gallops, why not just watch them for a little while, work out some selections and see how they go without actually outlaying any big money. Perhaps just have $2 each way on a couple each week until you're more familiar with the horses. That would be a good way to start.

Anyway, hope all of that rambling helps in some way.

Last edited by Sportz : 25th October 2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 26th October 2005, 05:52 PM
Suspended

Sportz.
Or should I say Dr.Sportz?
Thank you for the long story.
I will read it many times.There is much useful stuff in there for me.

I would like to be able to do this.
"NEVER bet just for the sake of having a bet."

And this.
"If you want to bet on the gallops, why not just watch them for a little while, work out some selections and see how they go without actually outlaying any big money."
Old 26th October 2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportz
Well Mo, you probably find this a horrible thought, but you could just simply stop drinking beer!!!

poor silly sportz,beer ,beer ,beer(thats a nice trifecta especially when the winner gets up by a head
Old 26th October 2005, 08:32 PM
Banned

Moeee, been away for a few days, i start each year with a $1,000 bank and bet up to $100 a week and its manly football on the weekends, no more betting on sports that i dont know [in the past i would just back the favourite - stupid hey!]or mid week, now i only bet online -no more race meetings or TAB's - their killers, if my bank goes down i reduce my bets,and if i win i still bet normally, if i lost my bank [AGGHHH]thats it! no more bets and no top ups! , but luckily that hasnt happened yet and at the end of the year i collect any winnings and start again the next year.

Mo, just bet what ever you can afford to bet with, doesnt matter if its only $2 or $5 bets, i do sometimes and i'm enjoying the punt more nowdays, as in the past the bigger bets made me feel like like a real know itall and i was embarrased putting little bets on in the TAB, not any more , just a click of a button .

The most important thing for me was that i was fed up with losing a lot of the time, so i changed the way i bet.

Best of luck mate.
Old 27th October 2005, 08:19 AM
Banned

Why not just turn sports into an income. It's ridiculously easy if you take advantage of bonuses, low vig, free points and find a good service or few to follow (like smartgambler).
Old 27th October 2005, 11:29 AM

No offence to anyone who has posted and i think all the advice has been well thought through and helpful. But perhaps over and above the advice already given you should perhaps go and see someone, a professional. There is no shame in it, they will be able to tell you what is right to fit your personality. Different things work for different people. As an example, my father has a tendency to take to things easily ie. drinking, gambling etc. Any addictive activity will draw him in, luckily he has the self control to know his limits and stuff but there have been times when it has got the better of him. This contrasts to my personality. I like drinking, but i could go without. I like gambling, but i could go without. I don't smoke so i wouldn;t know. This just shows how things can effect people in different ways.

If you get some one-on-one advice i am sure it could be helpful.
Old 27th October 2005, 11:36 AM

Oh and just one other thing.

You COULD, try and make the gambling a secondary thing. That is how it is for me and i love it.

It is a hobby so, there is the form study which i thoroughly enjoy, the debates on here which are entertaining, try and go to the track and have a look at the horses in the yard- appreciate the animals.

The more i get involved the more i want to know about all facets of the horse racing industry, breeding, horse flesh etc.

Like i said though, everyone is different, but for me it is just the whole package. At the end of all that i have a punt.
Old 27th October 2005, 12:21 PM

Thumbs up

"How much % of your bank needs to grow before a withdrawl?"

Good question!...and not too many suggestions yet...

I guess it all depends on what the goal is...i.e is one attempting to build up to a professional punting bank that will stand larger betting units, or is one aiming to draw a periodical profit?
Old 27th October 2005, 01:16 PM

Very good advice from Tenacious Spirit, although I don't think you're going to like the answer from the professional.

The professional will ask you three of four questions and come to a very hasty conclusion.

Basically from what you wrote in your first post, any professional who is worth their salt or has a conscience will tell you to give the punt away.

The flag here is you bet more than you intended more than once.

Gambling had control of you, you were not in control.

I am not a professional, but I have seen it before first hand.

Any other suggestion as to what to bet on or how to bet is secondary to the prime issue.

I would hasten to add, you need to do your own objective self assessment.

I am not telling or suggesting you give up, but I'm suggesting you assess whether you need to for your own sake.

If you put only a certain amount in a TAB account, would you be able to leave it at that regardless of the outcome?

How often have you bet too much?

Have you ever got extra money out, just because you were losing?

How often were you in front and gave it all back plus more?

Only you can answer these questions to yourself honestly.

Please take my response in the good intention it was offered.

As to the bank question, all other issues aside....

Treat it like a business if you have the self discipline to run this type of business.

When your bank doubles, take out half the profit as "owners drawings" and keep going until it doubles again and do the same.

This method works very well providing you can make a profit from racing.

I wish you the very best in the future.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 28th October 2005, 04:56 PM
Suspended

I am currently reading a book I downloaded from mentalhealth . net or simlar.
I am going to work on my self and get in control of things especially gambling.
I get very little joy out of backing other peoples tips.
Unless they reinforce my tip.Then I will put more on.