Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 31st July 2002, 07:20 PM

Found this on another site.
Changed a few horses.

Who would win out of the following over 2000m at Flemington on a good track, no bias?

1. Saintly.............
2. Northerly..........
3. Veandercross......
4. Might and Power.....
5. Vo Rogue............
6. Better Loosen Up..
7. Octagonal.........
8. Super Impose........
9. Naturalism
10. Shaftesbury Avenue..
11. Lets Elope..........
12. Sunline.............

My picks
1. BLU
2. M&P
3. Veandercross

Would be a fast race no doubt.

[ This Message was edited by: manikato on 2002-07-31 19:21 ]
Old 31st July 2002, 07:23 PM

1. Northerly
2. Might and Power
3. Sunline
Old 31st July 2002, 08:15 PM

Croft,

You must be young.

BLU won the Cox plate and Japan Cup in the same year. Ran a very quick time in the Cox plate carrying 59kgs. I doubt Northerly or Sunline could get near him at his best.
Old 31st July 2002, 10:10 PM

I'm in my forties actually, and I agree BLU was a great racehorse but not many horses can race 3 wide in a WFA race like Northerly and still win with ears pricked. Some horses have sheer brilliance, others just grind horses into the dirt. Northerly is like the second lot.
Nobody ever mentions Phar lap when comparing horses. With todays training and feeding methods, how do you think he would have gone? It is very difficult to compare horse of different eras because tracks change, times are different each year because of conditions on the day etc.
How do you compare the performance of a winner that sits three wide all the way but maybe runs half a second slower than a horse that sits under cover on the rails and waits for the speedster up front to die on its run.
Old 31st July 2002, 10:30 PM

Comparing horses is an interesting topic although like religion and politics everyone will have their opinions and wont be swayed.
Looking back at past Cox Stakes winners, remembering that many people place this as the Australian championship of racing, Kingston Town won 3 straight and 14 group 1 races, Sunline won 2 Cox Plates (so far) and 13 group 1 races, Octagonal won 10 group 1 races, Super Impose 8 group 1's, and the list can go on.
Horlicks also won a Japan Cup, the year before Better loosen Up (I think), but I wouldn't even place her in my top 50 of all time.

[ This Message was edited by: croft on 2002-07-31 22:34 ]
Old 31st July 2002, 11:34 PM

It all comes down to the way the race would be run,not necessarily the "best" horse would win. We have many leaders who would clip up a very fast pace setting it up for a backmarker.
My thoughts would be that Sunline would not be able to accelerate enough to overcome the backmarkers as the fast pace would ensure an upset.
My picks would be either Super Impose or Let's Elope at huge odds in an upset!

:wink:

The horse which could sit in the last two or three would definately have the advantage.

[ This Message was edited by: Equine Investor on 2002-07-31 23:36 ]
Old 31st July 2002, 11:36 PM

To hard to answer , if you ran the race 12 times you would have 12 different winners!!

And remember a profit a day keeps the Girlfriend/Wife away.
Old 1st August 2002, 08:57 AM

Yeah, the speed would be good with all those leaders tearing away. I still think M&P would have the strength to run a place. Sunline would have no hope with all the other leaders putting presure on her. Northerly would probably try and sit just behind the speed. Maybe run 4th.

I don't think Octagonal and Saintly would have the goods against these. Super Impose would be running on, but his WFA record isn't as good as the others (lucky to win his Cox plate at 8yo). I liked BLU and Veandercross because they would be running on strongly and have the class to match it. Naturalism would run about 5th I reckon.

Old 1st August 2002, 09:05 AM

big call

1st BLU
2nd M&P
3rd Veandercross
4th Northerly
5th Naturalism
6th Saintly
7th Super Impose
8th Octagonal
9th Let's Elope
10th Sunline
11th Vo Rogue
12th Shaftesbury Avenue

Old 1st August 2002, 02:20 PM

Quote:
On 2002-08-01 08:57, manikato wrote:
Super Impose would be running on, but his WFA record isn't as good as the others (lucky to win his Cox plate at 8yo).

Super Impose was the horse which I won the greatest amount of money on in the 80's. Never failed to produce at decent odds. That run in the Cox Plate was an absolute moral, after they took him to Canberra and he won easy. How he went around at the odds he did was a gift and he still won with topweight to show his true class.

I am a huge Super Impose fan!