Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 21st August 2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

Smile EASY RUN

Great post and thanks for posting it.

I hope you comment on how mind numbingly boring punting for a living actually is.

Cheers.
darky.
Old 21st August 2006, 10:31 AM

Hi Guys.

I will see if I can answer most in Parts 2 and 3.
Remembering that these posts are about the average man making a living on the punt.

" Are you saying an uneducated person stands a better chance, or experience and research has more weight? "

Yes to the first part Chrome Prince, and yes to experience. Generaly the lowly educated do not take part in needless research like highly educated people do.

The highly educated, and those who deem themselves as such, are hamstrung the very minute they start their kick in as punters. For some reason they have an undeniable smugness that the racing game requires an intimate knowledge of equations, mixed in with superior intelligence, of which they have plenty of.
Mathematitions, School Teachers, Engineers, Accountants.....they seem to suffer the most with it. And when a highly educated man crashes, boy does he crash. If he is to succeed he must strip off all his smartalecness.

Now onto Part 2. The Psychology involved in Living on, or rather off, the Punt.

Old 21st August 2006, 10:46 AM

" I hope you comment on how mind numbingly boring punting for a living actually is. "

Boring is the last word I would use on punting for a living. Do not lock yourself away. I hope you find something in my next post that gets you thinking on how to rid yourself of boredom Darky.
Old 21st August 2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Prince

4. It goes against any real common sense that an ** School Teacher, Mathematition, Engineer, Accountant or any highly educated induvidual, can come up with a numerical/class/time rating system that leads to first a steady income, then on to great wealth.
It simply cannot be done.

Are you saying an uneducated person stands a better chance or experience and research has more weight?

I dont think he is saying that ChromePrince, the way it come across to me is that systems dont work. Which is a firm belief of mine.
Old 21st August 2006, 01:10 PM

A really good thread, I think it touches on that secret desire to make a living "without" working though. Personaly, it's something that I have aspired to for quite some time,( living off the punt that is) and although I have made a profit for nearly 4 years, going to that next step seems very hard to do.

Crash, I know the type of Character you're talking about, but on any one day they are either Rich or broke, in fact my Dad was a bit like that, we had periods of living like Kings, followed by periods of Poverty!

Anyway, roll on next episode!
Old 21st August 2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkydog2002
Great post and thanks for posting it.

I hope you comment on how mind numbingly boring punting for a living actually is.

Cheers.
darky.
This i find interesting. Ive always heard when its something you love its as if its not even work.. Surely living on the punt would free up time for other things you are interested in? Im not saying its easy at all where you get to lounge around all day, but you name your own hours for starters and work from home.

By the sounds of your post you live off the punt so good on ya, well done and maybe just try to find another hobby as the punt isnt it anymore.
Old 21st August 2006, 01:44 PM

Default Summary Part 1

1. Educated people with money are losers on the punt.

2. Uneducated people earning $30,000 per annum at their job, can earn $60,000 per annum, without any research or knowledge, by picking $7 shots.
Old 21st August 2006, 02:01 PM

and a $4,000 bank.

I don't buy it - sorry.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 21st August 2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downbylaw
This i find interesting. Ive always heard when its something you love its as if its not even work.. Surely living on the punt would free up time for other things you are interested in? Im not saying its easy at all where you get to lounge around all day, but you name your own hours for starters and work from home.

downbylaw,

Punting is generally a very lonely business, which is why forums like this and others are a buzz of activity. I don't think darky is saying he doesn't enjoy it when he's betting and the races are on, I think he's saying that there are vast amounts of time where nothing happens, and of course, there is pressure.

I don't mind posting that I'm going through a very tough time at present with my main method, you have to be very tough psychologically and be able to withstand the enormous rollercoaster of performance. I enjoy the punt, but do not enjoy the fluctuations of ups and downs.

There is nothing more gratifying when you're right and it all falls into place, the challenge is withstanding when you are wrong. Not just the bank, but the psychological effect - especially if the downturn lasts a while.

I find myself breaking out the data to recheck, questioning my method from every angle, where did I go wrong, why is this happening, was this inevitable, will it continue, should I stop and reassess etc etc.

Of course, after spending countless hours, the conclusion is always the same, it's just a part of the overall result and I must persist, as if I now stop, I will cost myself money when things even out.

One can have a huge bank, a red hot method, but the challenge is more mental than anything else.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg

Last edited by Chrome Prince : 21st August 2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 21st August 2006, 02:36 PM

Partypooper. Quite right, the mention of the average man equaling his wage and still keeping his job was a quick example to lead to quitting. And how you do not need a large betting bank to hold sway on $50,000 a year.

Filante. I did not mention uneducated people, nor $60,000. I only mentioned "needless" research, not any or all, and the only knowledge I talked about was the intimate knowledge of equations, and how they have no place in horse punting. Now..... $7 shots? good god man, you wont make a living at those odds........it must be over $7 to the dollar!

You dont have to buy it Chrome Prince as it's given away. You will however have to accept it one day.

Highly educated system boys are we?