Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 28th March 2007, 01:18 AM

That doesn't sound good PP. I can't understand what went wrong. I use Kaspersky and never had a problem since i started with it. Hope it gets sorted quickly, sorry mate.
Old 28th March 2007, 01:44 AM

Well i'm intrigued now. I assume you downloaded and ran the Kaspersky scanner. It should have found all kinds of rubbish on your 'puter if you have been running Norton. Again i'll assume you killed all of the rubbish found. Reboot and you should have been golden. Did you run Spybot and ad-aware? Perhaps found a few more nasties but i really can't see why this would cause such instability.

Did you uninstall Nortons before installing Kaspersky? Wouldn't be a major problem, but they might clash. Get rid of Norton either way.

Sometimes Kaspersky can be a little tricky if you're using an older version. You have the 6.0 version?

Other than that you could run the chkdsk command. It might not be a bad idea to do it anyway, particuraly if you have removed a lot of rubbish with the anti-virus. It's an inbuilt Windows repair command (XP).

Start menu
Run
type: chkdsk /f
enter

A small DOS window should open. It will tell you that it cannot perform the test at the moment as the drive is in use. It will ask you if you would like to run the test the next time the system is restarted? Type Y and reboot.

Other than that i'm not sure what the hell is going on.
Old 28th March 2007, 05:51 AM
Suspended.

Kaspersky is a great program Mad and was what I was recommending here before I recently changed to Comodo. Comodo is free [firewall and anti-virus] at the moment only because it is new and early adopters will never have to pay.

I suspect Party tried to install Kaspersky before removing Norton's properly. That would have been nasty.

Party,

You will need more than one malaware/spyware protection program
regardless of what you use. None of them do it all.
A-Squared is a good melaware/spyware remover similar to Ad-aware. It's a goodie but costs $30US and for that there is no real-time protection which is a pity.

Spyware Baster is a real-time protection program and it's free, but it's still
worthwhile to have a couple of melaware/spyware removers as well like A-squared and Ad-aware. I use Ad-aware and Ewido because they are free [I don't think Ewido is free any longer].

Last edited by crash : 28th March 2007 at 06:20 AM.
Old 28th March 2007, 07:14 AM
Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypooper
Any compuer buff there that can help me, my comp. is infected with something, firstly I get a pop up telling me that my comp is in danger of infection with "Spybot@MXT trojan" , then I get pop ups all over the place offering me the neccessary software to get rid of it etc etc. Also another pop up telling me that I have visited 625 "compromising" sites and that my marriage is in danger if I don't buy the software to get rid of it (hee hee)

I've got the Pop Up blocker on and I can hear it poping every few seconds. But these others seem to get around that????

I've got Norton on there as well and keep scanning, any help would be appreciated if I need to buy software etc etc

Initially a bit of [relatively harmless] melaware got loose on your PC. telling you lies about being infected and urging you to download there software. What you really downloaded along with the program was a nasty Trojan, Active-X or virus that now seems to have opened a backdoor for other viruses etc. to be downloaded like a rootkit, it has probably modified your IP address table to avoid certain websites and reduces any actions you can do.

If things are still serious.......

If you are using XP O/S, try to do this before installing Kaspersky:

NOTE: You must be logged in as an Administrator to do this.

If you are not logged in as an Administrator, the System Restore tab will not be displayed.

Turning off System Restore will clear out all previous restore points.

To turn off Windows XP System Restore: NOTE: These instructions assume that you are using the default Windows XP Start Menu and have not changed to the Classic Start menu.

To re-enable the default menu, right-click Start, click Properties, click Start menu [not Classic] and then click OK.

1. Click Start.

2. Right-click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties.

3. Click the System Restore tab.

4. Check "Turn off System Restore"

5. Click Apply.

6. When turning off System Restore, the existing restore points will be deleted.

Click Yes to do this.

7. Click OK, reboot.

You could try running the System File Checker [sfc.exe], this will scan all protected Windows files to verify their versions have not been overwritten or damaged, and if so will replace the compromised version with a fresh copy.

To run it, click Start/Run and type 'sfc.exe /scannow' [without the quotes but with the space between the 'e' and the '/'].

Alternatively, you can click start/Run and type in CMD and click O.K., when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow".

You will need to insert your Windows CD into the drive to enable sfc to effect the repair.
---------------------------------------

Try to use this standalone version of ewido [a trojan scanner]: http://download.ewido.net/ewido_micro.exe , very basic start with downloading the signatures, then scan and then delete.

Now try to install Kaspersky or go to their site and run their free scan.

Last edited by crash : 28th March 2007 at 07:16 AM.
Old 28th March 2007, 10:41 AM

thanks again all, everything is on hold till I try and remove that kaspersky thingo, as I can't download angthing, see how we go today
Old 28th March 2007, 10:54 AM

A-squared personal is free, it is the malware version which you have to pay for. Personal should do the job easily.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 28th March 2007, 01:23 PM

ok guys, this is where I'm at, Chrome, tried to delete Kasperspy in safe mode but it can't do, so just rebooted and removed it no probs.
re insatalled the Broadband CD from aapt, and presto I'm back on line!!!

Mad, did the chkdsk /f thingo and it's rebooted. ok

Tried the Restore thingo, but it reboots and just keeps saying cannot restore to that date (any date I choose)

Norton is still on there. I can't hear any blocked pop ups and everything appears to be working fine, so maybe Kasperspy did the trick?

So what should I do as I don't wanna risk being in the same boat?
Old 28th March 2007, 02:07 PM

Well that's good news PP. Was getting worried i had gotten you into worse trouble.

Kaspersky is a very well regarded program, so it was a little concerning to hear of the enhanced problems. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Whatever else you do, get rid of Norton. Uninstall it now and never return. Use Kaspersky or one of the other anti-virus programs suggested by Crash or Chrome. Anything but Norton should see you're right.
Old 28th March 2007, 02:17 PM
Suspended.

Good to hear your back on-line party.

If you want to install Kaspersky you MUST remove Norton's first. You cannot have 2 firewalls on the same O/S. One will try to kill the other and cause serious O/S problems ....as you now know:-)
Old 28th March 2007, 05:23 PM

Thanks for all that Crash, I'm working through it slowly, ran the ewido thing, did the scan came up with 117 high risk items, clicked on remove, then tried to download the anti virus (no luck) have hit scan again and it seems to picking up all the same ones as first time round?

RE: Firewall, I presume you didn't mean the Microsoft Firewall as well?