Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 7th February 2008, 08:19 PM
Banned

fair enough chrome,

however the main reason i made the change is because of a couple of relatives that have been using vista for some time with limited problems,

& before making the change i visited the webs sites of all the hardware & software brands that i use & most indicated they supported vista, not a guarantee but if one does a bit of homework i suggest most problems can be avoided

certainly building ones own box with vista would most likely be a nightmare, but going with a supplier like dell (no i dont work there or own shares) has always made life a bit easier
Old 7th February 2008, 08:59 PM

I'm just going by the rapid increase in business from clients who've upgraded and call me for help.

I'm not just going on my own experiences, but feedback from a large client base. True, some people have no problems, but a large number have numerous problems.

It is also a poor use of resources, it eats up a great deal of ram.

After uninstalling Vista, a dual core computer with a gig of ram runs at least twice as fast, but closer to three times as fast.

Good luck with it, I hope you have no problems.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 17th February 2008, 08:26 PM

Question

Could someone please tell me if there is an anti virus program that will block incoming emails if theyare not from people in my address book? or if there is some way of doing it? I use outlook express. Thanks.
Old 18th February 2008, 09:28 AM
Suspended.

To block a Sender in Outlook Express
To add an email address to the list of blocked senders in Outlook Express:

Highlight a message from the person you want to block.
Select Message | Block Sender... from the menu.
Click Yes to have all existing messages from the blocked sender deleted from the current folder.
Future messages are blocked even if you answer No to the question and keep existing messages.
Windows Mail or Outlook Express automatically adds the sender's address to the list of blocked senders.

Blocking is Not For (Against) Junk Mail
Send spammers can pick a new, different email address for every junk email they send, blocking by sender address is not effective against this annoying type of email.

Blocking Entire Domains in Outlook Express:
In addition to individual senders, you can also block whole domains in Outlook Express. And of course it is possible to remove a sender (or domain) from the list of blocked senders.

Block Messages from a Domain in Outlook Express
To add a domain to the list of blocked senders in Outlook express:

Select Tools | Message Rules | Blocked Senders List... from the menu in Outlook Express.
Click Add....
Type the domain you want to block.
Finally, click OK.

Outlook Express does not have a built-in spam filter.

You have a couple of options:

Switch email clients. Mozilla Thunderbird is a free, open source email client that does almost everything that Outlook Express does (the main exception is Hotmail support) but adds additional features such as a spam filter.

Buy a filter program, such as Cloudmark Desktop that works with Outlook and Outlook Express.

For more info. with screen shots go to "Outlook Express Tutorial - Filters, how to stop spam" http://www.webterrace.com/outlook/filter.htm
Old 18th February 2008, 10:46 AM

This is probably telling you something that you already know,but.............

If you are getting a heap of junk mail on a daily basis which can and does happen,and you want to get rid of it all quickly...........

click on the bottom message,,then click ...Control A.....then "delete",,it gets rid of the lot in one hit.Lol dont forget to read your personal mail first.

I always use a hotmail address for every contact other than friends and family,and a very few business contacts.

While we are on the subject of unsolicited advertising I registered on the "do not call" register over a year ago and have not had one crap phone call since.

Do Not Call Register
www.donotcall.gov.au
Old 18th February 2008, 11:15 AM
Suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR RON
Could someone please tell me if there is an anti virus program that will block incoming emails if they are not from people in my address book? or if there is some way of doing it? I use outlook express. Thanks.

Although I'm not sure exactly what you wish to block, there are no programs that will "block incoming emails if they are not from people in my
address book". However, I think it can be done from within Outlook Express.

To cut a long story short, I'd recommend you have a look at this 'how too' for setting up O/E from Black Viper. He's been around a long time and highly respected: http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Email/filter1.htm
He also has many other articles on setting up [tweaking] all Operating Systems, including Vista.

For a free Anti-Virus that has an email scanner [most AV's don't]:
Comodo antiVirus http://antivirus.comodo.com/download.html
It won't stop junk mail, but it will stop any Virus. Don't use their Firewall though as it's a bit technical, just download the Anti-virus scanner. The Comodo anti-Virus works well with the free Sunbelt Personal Firewall [by AGV].
Old 18th February 2008, 12:22 PM
Banned

Thumbs up dncr

Quote:
Originally Posted by syllabus23

While we are on the subject of unsolicited advertising I registered on the "do not call" register over a year ago and have not had one crap phone call since.

Do Not Call Register
www.donotcall.gov.au

yep, did the same a while ago, was almost at the point of getting my phone number changed! the amount of ********ing **** calls every day driving me nuts, now only get1 every blue moon
Old 18th February 2008, 02:27 PM

Cool

Crash, thanks for the comments, I think I can make a message rule to only receive mail from an individual address in my contacts list and then repeat the rule over and over again, however I was hoping there was a way of being able to do it with just one rule or find a firewall or anti virus that could do it automattically. Will check out the link you gave me ,thanks.

Syllabus23, I am also on the do not call register and it has certainly cut down the c**p phone calls, however there seem to be plenty of mobs that are on an exemption list.
Old 20th February 2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR RON
however I was hoping there was a way of being able to do it with just one rule.

Ron,

If you don't find anything you like - maybe have a look at this App. -
it's Free - and a read of the 42 reviews on this page, plus 'Snaps' own
evaluation for any OS, excluding 'hasta la Vista' ......

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/Sp...ator/spami.html
Old 20th February 2008, 12:23 PM

Crash, have you tried Ubuntu? It seems alright.

I had a couple niggly issues so couldn't make the switch perm so I'm back on XP Pro, but what I saw was promising.

If you got an ATI card and a 21"+ widescreen monitor tho you'll have to make changes to the xorg.conf file to get the native res going.