Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 16th August 2012, 07:42 PM

I could never not watch the races, unfathomable.

System betting in general is kinda boring on a day to day basis I find, but necessary. Im personally going through a protracted losing streak with my system which isn't much fun, the YTD profit margin is the only thing keeping me going.

I remember a few years back now when the system forum was a bit of a ghost town and the Racing forum was the place of most interest, somewhere along the line that all changed.
Old 16th August 2012, 07:57 PM

It is what you make of it I think.

Certainly negativity is going to put off contributors and potential new blood.
It is a journey, I have learnt so much over the years from contributors, it's fantastic. I feel so privileged to have an avenue to banter with other punters, in the pre internet days, you were pretty much on your own.
It probably saved me ten years of going down the wrong path.

In the beginning I was like the opening of 2001 space odyssey, no internet, on the floor of my bedroom with The Sportsman, a pencil and an exercise book.
These days, if I get something wrong, my computer says "What are you doing to me Dave"

Seriously, I don't contribute as much as I used to, because I have found an edge which is completely different to a system, but if I shared it, it would certainly disappear completely, because there isn't enough liquidity.
That's not to say I don't share other ideas though.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 16th August 2012, 08:15 PM
Vortech

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
Personally in my opinion here is why a lot of the old posters have moved on.

While your searching for your system or way to make money its all really exciting and new. Your trying new things and learning lots of stuff. Then one or two things click and you start making a profit. Eventually you get your whole system/technique automated and the excitement starts to dwindle. You no longer need to search and learn (you can but the drive usually isn't there anymore). You stop searching for new systems because the one(s) you have works and works well. Eventually its just numbers and a side income and is treated as such or is treated as a side job. There is no longer any excitement as its fairly boring when your winning consistenly. I'm not saying winning isn't great, becasue the money is great, but the passion isn't there anymore as its no longer a challenge. You then move onto other excitments in life which you can spend your winnings on (women, booze, jet skis, holidays, etc).

At least this is how I feel the progression goes.

I am currently at the stage where winning isn't quite boring but I no longer feel there is a challenge as I have been in profit for several months now and continuously growing my bank. Im slowly building up the bank and making more and more each month. But I don't watch the races. I come home, check the account balance, and go do other stuff. I just come in here to see how everyone else is going and if any exciting new ideas are coming up.

My current passion has turned to Neural networks (not the racing and sports neurals) using support vector machines vs feed forward/backpropergation networks. This is an interesting area whch I know has been explored thouroughly elsewhere but I am finding it interesting in how the machines can out tip the experts consistently in the research papers.

This is on the money. Do you think this is why Don Scott may have invested into Trifecta betting.

My dad said to me on the phone - very experienced punter that shares me nothing if you want more excitment invest in different pools.

Keep the win/place bets flowing and maybe invest in the harness racing or dogs or maybe into Exactas etc...
Old 16th August 2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
While your searching for your system or way to make money its all really exciting and new. Your trying new things and learning lots of stuff. Then one or two things click and you start making a profit. Eventually you get your whole system/technique automated and the excitement starts to dwindle. You no longer need to search and learn (you can but the drive usually isn't there anymore). You stop searching for new systems because the one(s) you have works and works well. Eventually its just numbers and a side income and is treated as such or is treated as a side job. There is no longer any excitement as its fairly boring when your winning consistenly.

UB yes I think that's exactly it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ocho
Why would anyone want to REALLY share any system that's even remotely profitable in fear that anyone can just happen along and look at it, sell it or put it to work for them with VALUE then depreciating from the said selections.

That's exactly it too. Much better to give the tools to build on in my view.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:57 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

While your searching for your system or way to make money its all really exciting and new. Your trying new things and learning lots of stuff. Then one or two things click and you start making a profit. Eventually you get your whole system/technique automated and the excitement starts to dwindle. You no longer need to search and learn (you can but the drive usually isn't there anymore). You stop searching for new systems because the one(s) you have works and works well. Eventually its just numbers and a side income and is treated as such or is treated as a side job. There is no longer any excitement as its fairly boring when your winning consistenly. I'm not saying winning isn't great, becasue the money is great, but the passion isn't there anymore as its no longer a challenge.

The above was from U.B.

I fully concur in fact that is exactly what has happened to me,
3 others on this site will confirm.

What i am doing now with these 3 is to look at what i am doing,
Now to be turned into something mechanical without,
The downloading of ratings, the form, the videos etc.

This has given me a new lease of life so to speak.

Cheers.
Garyf.
Old 17th August 2012, 01:45 PM
Banned

Smile

In one of my earlier posts to Bernie I mentioned the PL principle and he was one of the more smarter ones to appreciate this factor and for that my hats off to him.
I also mentioned it to one of the more Professional punters .He didnt disagree .
Mind you the "holy grail"will be sought after by all for many many years and will keep the industry going long after I,m gone.
Cheers
darky
Old 17th August 2012, 02:18 PM

I move on or stay quiet these days, cos if I post a question, usually programming ideas or specific code questions, what I think happens is the question may be the answer to some who knows the answer, but keeps it
"hidden"...therefore no one really "gets it" in the long run.

The consequences are then, less average punters don't get to place a bet in harmoney with the geeks, and therefore geeks shooting themselves in the foot cos the win pool could have been more ! Win or Loss bet is not the point here, just get the bet on.

In Principle...,
So lets say I have a question on code, vba, and that question or suggestion is a "good idea" to one who may have the solution to that specific piece of code, but does not post a reply, and actually gets it him/her self, and it's a 100 unit bet, one person...
But if the solution was posted and 20 other punters trying to code work on thier own projects, and send a bet, each 100 units, thats then equates to 20 multiplied by 100 units is 2000 units extra in a winpool, and not 100

out of those 20 punters, let's say 5 win on the same race,
do the math...
Old 17th August 2012, 04:03 PM

Talking

"What are you doing to me Dave"

CP, is that from RED DWARF?????
Very funny stuff that.
Old 17th August 2012, 06:58 PM

Jose

There was sci fi before Red Dwarf

I went to see that film with my mother in the late 60's I guess. Pretty sure Bonnie and Clyde was on next door and mum thought 2001 would be less violent.
Old 17th August 2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie
AngryPixie, From my research there is far more valuable information in the old posts than what is presented today.

I'm looking at a system posted many moons ago which gave me the idea I'm working on today. So far nearly 700 bets over the past four months and still procucing the goods. 24% POT.

You're not wrong Bernie. It's all here for the looking.