Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 21st August 2014, 09:58 AM

And that is one of the main problems, however, the bigger issues are the loopholes.
Bowlers etc.
If there's a loophole, they'll find it.
There's no way they will allow large winners to continue.
*RaceCensus now updated to 31/03/2024
Video overview of RaceCensus here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W821YP_b0Pg
Old 21st August 2014, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD01
Hi Stugots

Yes if they are LICENSED by Racing NSW in terms of their bookmakers licence then yes they are required to comply and are governed by the regulatory framework of that states licencing authority. What I'm referring to though is that most of the corporate bookmakers whilst they OPERATE on NSW racing aren't licensed by Racing NSW (most being licensed in the NT). Operating on NSW racing in these situations comes under the Race Fields Legislation that deals with the financial contributions made by those corporate bookmakers as a result of publishing race fields or NSW racing.

Suspected that was the case Paul, so what is required is for RNSW to push for changes to the Race Fields Legislation (or whatever else is required) so that all bookmakers located within Australia wishing to bet on NSW racing must be licensed by RNSW.

& if that forces them offshore to keep betting on NSW races, so be it. Got to take the fight up to them, or else what was the point to begin with.
Old 21st August 2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugots
Suspected that was the case Paul, so what is required is for RNSW to push for changes to the Race Fields Legislation (or whatever else is required) so that all bookmakers located within Australia wishing to bet on NSW racing must be licensed by RNSW.

& if that forces them offshore to keep betting on NSW races, so be it. Got to take the fight up to them, or else what was the point to begin with.

Hi Stugots
Not a lawyer so can't answer your question as I simply don't know the answer. I do believe though that whilst it may initially prove difficult to get on eventually I'm hoping that through the inevitable consultation process that a compromise is reached. One solution might be to offer the corporate bookmakers some incentives to comply by reducing the Race Fields fees if the have an on course presence, similar to Tabcorp over the VIC carnivals.

Paul Daily - Ratings2Win Pty Ltd (Director)
R2W Axis - Axis is Australia's leading horse racing software and database; with sophisticated form analysis tools and accurate performance ratings that include Hong Kong.
http://www.ratings2win.com.au/
Old 21st August 2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD01
Hi Pat123
The issue is that whilst Racing NSW might say that all bookmakers are compelled to comply with the new rules there is to my understanding currently no legal way of ensuring that they do.

So what compels a bookie to pay the race field fees?

According to the Racing Administration Act 1998, Racing NSW has the right to cancel approval to use the race field data, so while they might not be able to prosecute they could shut them down on those races.
Old 21st August 2014, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheMug

According to the Racing Administration Act 1998, Racing NSW has the right to cancel approval to use the race field data, so while they might not be able to prosecute they could shut them down on those races.

Nice one Fred.

Will be lawyers at 20 paces sooner rather than later methinks
Old 21st August 2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugots
Will be lawyers at 20 paces sooner rather than later methinks

Actually after thinking about it I can see PaulD's point in that they can sue for fees owed, but much harder for RNSW to establish a loss for rejected bets.

We should all keep a log of rejected bets in preparation for our own class action.
Old 21st August 2014, 04:13 PM

They will have to prove beyond doubt you are a bowler to racing nsw. For legitimate bettors this shouldn't be an issue apart from the initial inconvenience?
Old 21st August 2014, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat123
They will have to prove beyond doubt you are a bowler to racing nsw. For legitimate bettors this shouldn't be an issue apart from the initial inconvenience?

Other way around I think, punter has to prove he is not a bowler, & as I posted before, I would be most interested to know how one goes about proving that.
Old 21st August 2014, 04:28 PM

I'd think innocent until proven guilty. Richard Irvine says the onus to prove bowler status is on the bookie. What a sad state of affairs we're even talking about this.

UK bookmakers are sickening.
Old 21st August 2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredTheMug

I remember Betdaq (the opposition to Betfair) was listing Oz racing without paying any fees. They were soon stopped.

― Earl Nightingale