Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > General Topics
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 1st January 2018, 11:45 AM

There's people making money from systems, without doubt. These same people wouldn't, I'm sure, class themselves as world class programmers. I'm still wondering why a world class programmer / data analyser doesn't target racing and clean up.

I'm aware the stockmarket has many automated systems and I'm a great believer that when you get a buy signal the insiders are selling to you and you target just falls short. Dot Com bubble, GFC, way back to Tulip Mania and millions of smaller instances render charting very dangerous indeed.
Old 1st January 2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snert
These same people wouldn't, I'm sure, class themselves as world class programmers.

Strewth, maybe I've undersold the capabilities of those who make money money from systems betting, and I must add, on a large scale only. I'm not talking about few selections here and there. I hope I haven't offended anyone, I'm really curious, that's all.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:02 PM

2018 cheers, ....yawwwn, coffeeee, no sugar, black.

not this again, automation....
snert,
Automation ideas and racing products for punters been around as far as I know since 1994, ran dos platform windows 98 the one's I knew of. Some ran on obsolete but stable platforms fortunate to use.
Basically, back then it was a exact copy of what one does repetitiously in manual elbow grease, to a machine/glorified calculator/computer do it for you. It's not a magical solution, but it helps.
Many many designs and concepts since then and now...
problem....or, infinitiv problems starting with humans, animals, in this case horses and greyhounds, and the evolving thing of technology changes that always seems to bug the system just when ya think ya got right.

Fire away snert, whats YOUR plan of "automation betting system" ?
All the best..
Old 1st January 2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snert
There's people making money from systems, without doubt. These same people wouldn't, I'm sure, class themselves as world class programmers. I'm still wondering why a world class programmer / data analyser doesn't target racing and clean up.

I am a programmer and data analyst. I think I am pretty good at my job but I wouldn't say world class . I am targeting the races and sports as I see it like you as a potential gold mine but it takes a lot of work and time to get it right.

Horse racing is full of randomness and chance. It takes a really good data scientist to work through that and find the gems. It also requires a lot of domain knowledge (knowledge of horse racing, etc) as back fitting is rampant in the data science industry and it doesn't work. Data scientists are looking for repeating patterns and when the techniques are applied to a domain with so much uncertainty there is a very real chance of overfitting.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puntz
2018 cheers, ....yawwwn, coffeeee, no sugar, black.

not this again, automation....
snert,
Automation ideas and racing products for punters been around as far as I know since 1994, ran dos platform windows 98 the one's I knew of. Some ran on obsolete but stable platforms fortunate to use.
Basically, back then it was a exact copy of what one does repetitiously in manual elbow grease, to a machine/glorified calculator/computer do it for you. It's not a magical solution, but it helps.
Many many designs and concepts since then and now...
problem....or, infinitiv problems starting with humans, animals, in this case horses and greyhounds, and the evolving thing of technology changes that always seems to bug the system just when ya think ya got right.

Fire away snert, whats YOUR plan of "automation betting system" ?
All the best..

Puntz, have another coffee. You've completely misinterpreted my post.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessBettor
I am a programmer and data analyst. I think I am pretty good at my job but I wouldn't say world class . I am targeting the races and sports as I see it like you as a potential gold mine but it takes a lot of work and time to get it right.

Horse racing is full of randomness and chance. It takes a really good data scientist to work through that and find the gems. It also requires a lot of domain knowledge (knowledge of horse racing, etc) as back fitting is rampant in the data science industry and it doesn't work. Data scientists are looking for repeating patterns and when the techniques are applied to a domain with so much uncertainty there is a very real chance of overfitting.

Thank you UB, I understand everything you've said there.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:38 PM

UB..... hypotheticaly.....

I actually do have a "script" in code, that used a program made specifically for running scripts.
My script, packed away now for 11 years cannot be run, because the programmer who wrote both the program and the script according to my specs, can no longer service the main program.
BUT, the script, my script is/ was a winner when it ran.
I'm not, and cannot be a programmer, but I do and can play my strategy, and win, if the script was running....
What are your honest suggestions as a programmer, would one do with a winning script that cannot be run ?

("proto type" was made using excel vba after, but nothing can efficiantly match what once was that ran these scripts).

Last edited by Puntz : 1st January 2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 1st January 2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puntz
UB..... hypotheticaly.....

I actually do have a "script" in code, that used a program made specifically for running scripts.
My script, packed away now for 11 years cannot be run, because the programmer who wrote both the program and the script according to my specs, can no longer service the main program.
BUT, the script, my script is/ was a winner when it ran.
I'm not, and cannot be a programmer, but I do and can play my strategy, and win, if the script was running....
What are your honest suggestions as a programmer, would one do with a winning script that cannot be run ?

("proto type" was made using excel vba after, but nothing can efficiantly match what once was that ran these scripts).

If the script code is available then any competent programmer could rewrite it for you in another language which is more up to date and probably runs faster. Just a matter of giving the code to someone to take and convert.

to tell th truth VBA and excel are poor choices for writing a winning system against the horses. VBA is a play programming language only. There are much better languages out there now which would be much faster and less error prone.

Last edited by UselessBettor : 1st January 2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 1st January 2018, 01:01 PM

Snert,
you ask why at the end of your post. Why arnt such n such rocket scientist automating a betting system ? Or whatevere.
my reply is not to the programmer. If you are a programmer and punting, succesfully, all good.
Therefore what is your purpose of asking why ? Can you clarify.
Cheeres
Old 1st January 2018, 01:07 PM

UB, it's not that simple, if it was yes it would have been done.
but thanks for the suggestion, may reconsider that option.