Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 16th October 2004, 05:40 PM
Member.

Well, value is in the eye of the beholder. I've bet on 9 races at Caulfield today backing 2 horses per race and I've had 9 winners. Considering the form of some of them, I think they WERE all pretty good value.

You're probably right with your comment about me listening to too many of those Radio and TV tipsters. I hope I don't end up copying more of the rubbish they come out with. I guess I could have put it better, but my basis for that comment about 'plenty of value' was simply that on a day like this, Raider could pick out 3 or 4 very good chances and if 1 of them managed to win, he would end up comfortably in front. And that's exactly what's happened. Covet Thee got up in the last race at $6. Well done Raider! :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-10-16 17:53 ]
Old 16th October 2004, 05:50 PM

tut tut yeah right ...Im Quivering with delight..
Listen doc I got a prob with people who talk down to others but all in all I dont have to sit you at my dinner table so im not really that narked about it .

Saying that ,Id much rather friendly banter than animosity ....So cheers from me :smile:
Old 16th October 2004, 05:55 PM

Thanks for the advice Sportznut. I think The strategy of three picks and a trifecta to try and put the icing worked for me today. Looks like I get to live again till next week. Will try and study during the week for next weekend. Might have to try and look for your selections next weekend if today is any example?
Old 16th October 2004, 06:10 PM
Member.

Yeah, good idea. I think that's the way to go with 3 win bets at around $5-$10.

I'm glad I concentrated on Caulfield today. Good horses, good jockeys, good racing and the form really stood up. I didn't bet on Sydney or Adelaide at all today and only had 3 races in Brisbane and 4 in Perth.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-10-16 18:13 ]
Old 16th October 2004, 07:46 PM

Don't know whether this makes sense or not, but today it felt like if I took the favourite and also the three other best jockeys in the race for a win / place I would have done alright. Would this be normal for race days? I realise that best jockeys are debatable. ie Oliver, Brown King etc.
Old 16th October 2004, 08:19 PM
Member.

Well, you could do worse. I don't know that it would work out that well all the time and as you said it's a matter of opinion who the best jockeys are.

By the way, I actually like to back Damien Oliver and Darren Beadman in the first and last race of the day if they're on good chances. It sure worked out well today!!! :grin:
Old 17th October 2004, 10:40 AM

I see the petty nitpicking and animosity between posters hasn't changed much since my last visit. Thanks for reminding me why I rarely post nowadays.
Old 17th October 2004, 10:44 AM
Banned

I saw you did well on the punt Saturday sportnutz, particulary at Caulfield, with runners at the shorter end of the market. VALUE can (is) be a patronising term peculiar within the media's vernacular that for some reason irritates me more than just about anything else - "one for the ladies" (ie a bolter that can not win) has a similar ring to it.

No worries to you Floydboy - I take your point. The written word doesn't have the advantage of tone, emphasis or 'tounge in cheek' and can be misunderstood. As you can see from my comments above we seem to be coming from the same direction anyway.

Old 17th October 2004, 10:51 AM
Moderator 2

Please keep posts pleasant and relevant to thread subject matter.

Old 17th October 2004, 10:54 AM
Member.

'One for the ladies' is a shocker.

I'll tell you the racing term that irritates me the most: "Whatever beats this will win." What the hell is that supposed to mean? Is it going to run 2nd? Surely, if they think the horse is a good thing, then nothing's going to beat it.