Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Horse Racing
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 3rd February 2005, 11:22 AM

Gday All,

I think I may stay out of this one... The idea of having nominated races to pick a lay in is rather farcical... The idea of laying is to pick a loser that all others think can win... thats where ya score.. having a race nominated really is not suitable to that kind of thing.. On this thread somewhere, a contributor has said to pick the best 2 races at Sydney and Melbourne ( Ithink).. What criteria do you use to pick the best race... To my way of thinking the "best" race is one where the winner is not obvious... where the class is solid.. so if the winner is not obvious, that to my mind makes it a very poor and probaly a foolish option to lay a horse in that race.. far too risky.. I feel the best lay propositons are things running around at 2/1 ON to Evens, that really should be 2 or 3 to 1. You need to be pretty good at pricing horses to abe able to confidently( In Advance) identify the races where there is a shortie running around that is going to be overbet, and frankly you have no clue as to whether the horse is unders and worth laying until you have the market in front of you.. to see what people are prepared to take..

But it's your idea fellas... good luck with it..

xptdriver@hotmail.com
Old 3rd February 2005, 11:37 AM

Geez, the very rules of this comp are providing probably more interest and discussion than the comp itself will.

Anyway, I do sort of agree with what xpt, brave chief and Shaun have said, but letting people pick ANY race on a given Saturday would mean a heck of a lot more work for the person running the show. Perhaps you could simply keep it to just one meeting each week??? Up to you La Mer.
Old 3rd February 2005, 11:44 AM

By the way, they've just announced that they're going to inspect the Flemington track at lunch time tommorrow and if they have to call it off, they will race on Tuesday instead.
Old 3rd February 2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportz
Geez, the very rules of this comp are providing probably more interest and discussion than the comp itself will.

Anyway, I do sort of agree with what xpt, brave chief and Shaun have said, but letting people pick ANY race on a given Saturday would mean a heck of a lot more work for the person running the show. Perhaps you could simply keep it to just one meeting each week??? Up to you La Mer.

I agree about the level of discussion Sportz - some very different thoughts eh?

Well, in an attempt to satisfy, if not all, most I think that your compromise idea is fine, that is one nominated meeting a week from which any TWO races with UP TO THREE lay horses can be selected.

I will post the consolidated rules later on today, but at this stage will probably nominate the Sydney meeting as the one to start off the contest.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.
Old 3rd February 2005, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Mer
I will post the consolidated rules later on today, but at this stage will probably nominate the Sydney meeting as the one to start off the contest.

Lays Of the Day Contest - Consolidated Rules

Starting this Saturday 5th Feb, the rules are:

Lays Of The Day Contest
Any TWO races each Saturday from nominated meeting, selecting (laying) between ONE & THREE horses in each race that won’t win.

Selections for both races must be lodged at least 30mins prior to the first race in which selections are made. This means that if someone makes selections in races 7 & 8 and race 7 is on @ 4.30pm, then selections must be lodged by 4pm. (Note: This additional rule required so that it's a level playing field for everyone)

Points awarded according to Official Starting Price (as per examples earlier in this thread)

This weeks nominated meeting is Rosehill.

Last edited by La Mer : 3rd February 2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 4th February 2005, 10:40 AM

Rc 7 No. 1 Desert War, lay the lot.
Old 4th February 2005, 12:03 PM

It's a scratching.

A pity because I also thought it was a good 'lay' bet for that race.
Old 4th February 2005, 05:21 PM

My two LAYS are

Syd R7 Cool Front
Syd R8 Leg Irons

And COOL TRENT IN MELBOURNE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 4th February 2005, 06:43 PM
Banned

6-1 Vanquished
5-1 Flying Pegasus
Old 4th February 2005, 06:48 PM
Banned

Alinghi