Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 30th March 2005, 06:23 PM
Banned

Default Dog Ratings

How do I work out the beaten margin in dog races? Do I use 1.5 lengths or something different?

I have worked out some class ratings for each grade of race. They are only a guide and need more experimenting.

Benny
Old 30th March 2005, 06:36 PM

1 length= 0.066 sec
So if the dog was beaten by 15 lengths.
15 x 0.066 = 0.99
So 15 lengths = almost 1 second
Add the beaten time on to the winner.
That should do it.
Then this will give you how far the dog was behind the winner in lenghts and time.
One thing is dont rely on time ratings alone when it comes to dogs, this will send you BROKE......
Old 31st March 2005, 10:51 AM

I would have thought time ratings would be the "light and the way" in dog racing. Is this not so?
Old 31st March 2005, 11:31 AM

I would tend to agree. The faster a dog is, the more chance it has of winning the race.

I have an excel spreadsheet that converts last 3 starts to speed and converts it to current race distance. If a dog heads all 3 of my criteria for the race, it becomes a betting opportunity for me.
You would be surprised at some of the longer prices paid for some of these dogs.
Old 31st March 2005, 12:44 PM

Played arround with this dog thing the last few weeks in regards to this post, you are right BJ, some of the pays i got were stupid, best so far was 44 units for the win at lismore race 7 the other night, always keep your eyes open for options

best regards
Old 31st March 2005, 01:09 PM

so how do you convert the times from previous starts to todays distance? Do you divide it by the distance raced over then and multiply it by todays?
Old 31st March 2005, 03:36 PM

Duritz, I think the trouble with doing that would be that dogs llike horses would have their preferred distances and a sprinte rrunning over a longer distance might lead the race up to that distance and then not be able to go on with it.
Old 31st March 2005, 03:38 PM

I convert it to metres per second. I also have a list of the track records for every distance, so I know the decay of speed in relation to the distance. Generally they stick to the same distances so the decay is not too much of a factor.

To be honest it is sitting there not doing a lot at the moment. I am trying to work out how to get the form directly downloaded into my spreadsheet so I don't have to do anything. Currently takes 5 to 10 minutes to enter the data in for each race, and as I am still testing, it is a bit much.

As far as I am concerned, speed is the most important thing when it comes to the dogs. And I only bet on a dog that is a fast beginner.
A fast beginner coming out of box 4 or 5 is a good betting proposition, because they are generally underbacked.

I can't really imagine too much else to be considered about a dogs form.

Oh, and if a dog meets my 3 criteria but is jumping too high in distance, I will not bet.....
Old 31st March 2005, 03:46 PM

Red face

B J

on the greyhound victoria sitethey have info on each dogs finishing position from each box. I find it can give you a clear picture in some cases, of when to bet on the dog in question. Especially good too if a favourite is coming from a box that they have failed at constantly before, you can go searching for some value about the others in the race.
Old 31st March 2005, 03:51 PM

Possibly another avenue I can add to my testing. I get about 1 betting opportunity per 3 races, so I could maybe check that out also... Might cut out some losers... Though box numbers generally receive no consideration from me....