Smartgambler
Pro-Punter

Go Back   OZmium Sports Betting and Horse Racing Forums > Public Forums > Sports and Gambling
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark all topics as read

To advertise on these
forums, e-mail us.

Old 21st July 2004, 09:39 AM

I came across something quite strange the other week, when I noticed at a Rugby League game on the weekend, a group of supporters for the home team put together a kitty of about $50 each. One of the supporters then took this kitty to the TAB and placed a to win bet in the away team.

I asked them why they thought that the away team was a good bet (it was about $3.50), and they told me they didn't think that the away team would win. They informed me that they did not think the away team would win, or even that the odds were good. The bet was put on the away team as a "Bad Game Insurance". These guys reasoned that if their beloved team won, they'd be happy to lose the $50. But if the away team won, and they lost, at least they could pick up their winnings from the TAB and go to the RSL.

I've never heard of this before. Does anyone else use gambling like this as a kind of 'emotional insurance'? Should I have put a deuce on England to win the Rugby World Cup in the final so I wouldn't feel the pain so much when Australia lost? If I was betting not to make money, but for insurance, I would.

Is this a new thing? Are people so upset about their team losing that a winning bet eases the feeling of loss?

Nah, rather keep emotions out of betting. But that was a really strange thing to see.

[ This Message was edited by: jakelee on 2004-07-21 09:43 ]
Old 21st July 2004, 11:03 AM
Member.

Yep.

I almost NEVER bet on my team, but I often have a small bet on the opposition if I think they can win. It does soften the loss a bit if you make some money out of it.
Old 21st July 2004, 12:25 PM
Member.

By the way, I backed England at the juicy odds of $5.50 12 months before the World Cup started and believe me, when it came time for the final, I wanted to lose that bet. When it comes to big sporting events, I'm a supporter first, punter second.

[ This Message was edited by: sportznut on 2004-07-21 12:28 ]
Old 21st July 2004, 04:41 PM
Banned

Jake, yeh there are many sports fanatics in Australia :wink: me included. I felt filthy after the world cup, especially the way matty rogers decided to kick the ball into touch and give england the field position they needed

If you want emotion, visit kiwiland next time we snatch the bledisloe cup back.
Old 21st July 2004, 07:08 PM

Might be a while before that happens Mr. J

Cheers
Old 21st July 2004, 07:22 PM
Member.

I agree.
Old 22nd July 2004, 02:16 AM
Banned

"If you want emotion, visit kiwiland next time we snatch the bledisloe cup back."

It'd be this year if it was best out of 3.

Old 22nd July 2004, 07:20 PM

Mr.J

Unfortunately that will not happen which will surely benefit your wallet....after we play the Yarpies on Saturday we will be over there the following Saturday then maybe we'll get a better handle on both teams.